Decluttering isn’t just about clearing out the physical clutter, but also the mental clutter. It isn’t always as simple as tidying your home and your mind will be clear, which is why I’ve partnered with my friend, Kiara of BlissfullyBrunette.com, to bring you a Mental Cleanse Challenge.
There are lots of ways to cleanse your mind so that you can focus on living your best life. By going through this challenge, you’ll see which exercises work well for you so that you can keep your mind clear.
Mental Cleanse Challenge
The start of any minimalist journey is typically a purge of physical possessions. Afterwards, you are free to figure out the life you want to live without distractions of excess.
However, many find that their minds are working overtime. From things we need to do to random thoughts that pop up in our minds, we hardly have any quiet time.
This is something I have struggled with personally, and I believe it is time to take control of this situation! If you are like me, you are tired of your mind continuously working, thinking, or taking up precious time. You just want it to rest!
Well I hope you join me in this challenge, because it is going to be one for the books!
Kiara and I have gathered some great daily challenges that are going to help us get to a relaxed state of mind without all of the clutter that is normally in it.
Say goodbye to the brain fog you have become accustomed to for so long, and welcome back the creative, refreshed mind you once knew!
Each week of the four week challenge will have a different focus. [I’ve provided a graphic for each week’s daily activities so that you can save them and refer to them as needed.]
- For week one, the focus is self-care.
- Week two’s focus is diet and exercise.
- In week three, we will focus on our digital space.
- And week four will finish us out with focusing on positivity.
Let’s take a look at the specific exercises in each week of the Mental Cleanse Challenge, shall we?
Week 1: Self-Care
For the first week, we are focusing on Self-Care! Often times, we focus on the needs of others, work, or getting things done in our home.
However, we neglect to take care of ourselves.
For this first week we are changing the focus, and doing little things for us for a change!
- Day 1: Set two goals you would like to achieve during this challenge
- Day 2: Treat your face to a special pampering facial
- Day 3: Go for a walk
- Day 4: Journal for 15 minutes
- Day 5: Go to bed 30 minutes earlier than normal
- Day 6: Make a gratitude list of everything you are grateful for in your life [let us see who can write the longest list!]
- Day 7: Take a long bubble bath
I am not sure about you, but this Mental Cleanse Challenge sound amazing! The best part is this is just the first week! I can already feel myself relaxing! Can you?!
Week Two: Diet & Exercise
Honestly, I’m not a fan of working out, but I understand how important it is for our health, especially our minds. It is necessary to move our bodies daily to stay healthy, so this week is a must!
- Day 1: Try a new workout you have never done
- Day 2: Keep all three meals “phone free”! No social medial scrolling!
- Day 3: Do a yoga for beginners workout
- Day 4: Make 2 of 3 meals meatless! Need inspiration? Check Pinterest!
- Day 5: Meditate for 5 minutes and focus on your breath
- Day 6: Take your workout outdoors, if only for 20 minutes! Bundle up nice and warm!
- Day 7: Go vegan for a day!
For this week’s exercises, I am mostly excited for yoga! I’ve yet to try it and a lot of people swear by it as their way to strengthen and stretch their body.
It is great for the mind, because the focus of movement is done by the breath, which creates space for our minds to relax.
Week Three: Digital
This is probably my favorite week for the Mental Cleanse Challenge, because I love a good digital cleansing, as well as being intentional with getting space away from technology.
- Day 1: Clean out your inbox and sort your emails into folders. Delete all spam.
- Day 2: No social media before 11 a.m. Take the time to be productive!
- Day 3: Unfollow people on social media who do not inspire you.
- Day 4: Organize your desktop accordingly into folders. Delete unnecessary items.
- Day 5: Go through your phone and organize apps into folders. Delete apps you do not use and delete old notes, contacts you do not need, etc.
- Day 6: Have a phone-free night with family or loved ones!
- Day 7: Unsubscribe from email marketing you are not interested in keep up with anymore.
If you haven’t done a digital declutter, you’re in for a real treat! It is amazing and freeing to be in control of your digital space.
I know this week will result in the biggest mental detox for me, and I know if you give it your best, it will do the same for you as well!
Week Four: Positivity
With all the cleansing of our minds during the Mental Cleanse Challenge, it is important to focus on positivity. When we create space in our minds, new thoughts can enter and we want those to be positive thoughts.
Don’t be surprised if you have some hesitation with these exercises. That is normal. Embrace that feeling, but take action anyways! You’ll love yourself even more for it!
- Day 1: No compliant day!
- Day 2: Write down 3 great things that happened today
- Day 3: Spend 15 minutes in silence focusing on yourself and what makes you unique
- Day 4: Compliment a stranger
- Day 5: Write a letter to yourself explaining why you are unique
- Day 6: Ask a couple of friends to describe you in 3 words
- Day 7: Write out your challenge wins & treat yourself!
I’m not sure about you, but this is going to be an exciting and uplifting week! I think the most interesting days will be writing the letter and asking friends to describe me.
Final Thougths About the Mental Cleanse Challenge
Overall, I’m really excited to get started on this challenge! It is going to be a big outside of my comfort zone, but that is where real growth happens, right?
Having a physically decluttered space is amazing, but I bet it is going to be even better when my mind is decluttered as well. Let’s do this!
Be sure to check out my challenge experience to see how things went for me and share your results in the comments!