Self-Care Simple Living

My Minimalist Skincare Routine – Guest Post with Sarah at Pretty Simple Ideas

I may make a commission from the links within this post. Learn more.

Today I have got a special treat for you! Being purposeful comes in many different ways living a minimalist lifestyle. One of these ways is with your skincare routine.

Sarah Jean at Pretty Simple Ideas is one of my favorite bloggers who creates the most unique skincare recipes, and inspires me to go more towards basic skincare products/recipes that work! I asked her if she could share with us her tips for curating a successful minimalist skincare routine.

I hope you all enjoy, and please be sure to send Sarah Jean some love by visiting her blog!

A minimalist skincare routine does not always mean minimal products. Sometimes it means eliminating harmful chemicals from your skincare routine that do more harm than good.

My Minimalist Skincare Routine

If you took a look under my bathroom sink you would see an odd mixture of store-bought beauty products sitting next to bottles of apple cider vinegar and witch hazel.  When it comes to skincare I don’t necessarily believe “more is less” because I like to give my skin the nourishment it needs.

But I do believe we can over complicate the process by buying too many products that we’ll never get around to using, and using other products that are doing more harm than good.

Do you remember the commercial with Kristen Bell asking, “Do you know what’s in your skincare?” She has a point. We try to eat healthy, exercise, and get enough sleep but when it comes to beauty products we will rub anything into our skin and hair without thinking twice.

But did you know our skin is the largest organ in our body and anything we put on it gets immediately absorbed into our system. No digestive system here to help funnel out the bad stuff.

If it promised shinier hair or clear skin I didn’t care what was in it. But I’ve come to realize most beauty product ingredients are full of chemicals. I’m not the only one to notice as we’re seeing a lot more mainstream companies advertise their products as being “sulfate, paraben and silicone free.”

So I’ve been on a quest to not only simplify my skincare routine. I want to buy fewer products to start, and the ones I do buy I want to make sure are free of ingredients and chemicals I don’t need.

Lucky for you I’ve created a minimalist skincare routine that’s also pretty simple too. Because whether you want to go all-natural, or still buy quality clean brands, all of the above are consumable meaning they won’t take up your shelf space forever. And for minimalists, that’s great news.

Let’s get started. First you will want to find a makeup remover.

1 // MAKEUP REMOVER

For my eyes I use coconut oil. However, I don’t use it on the rest of my face because in spite of all the Pinterest posts out there, coconut oil actually causes breakouts for people with sensitive skin, like me.

Instead, I use my face wash and either a microfiber washcloth or konjac sponge to really get my face clean. Konjac sponges are sold in so many places these days and are a Japanese little face scrubby that exfoliates and cleanses. They are my new favorite thing. Get one and your face will be happy.

Make sure you throw it out every 1-3 months though depending on use. And all the minimalists rejoice!

2 // FACE WASH

So I alternate between making my own face wash, and trying out different “clean” brands. By clean I mean free of chemicals that are bad for our skin, health and environment. I’m not a huge environmentalist but I do believe in being a good steward of the earth where we can be.

For the DIY face wash, I like to make my famous Rose & Almond oil one that literally takes three minutes to make. When I’m not making my own I’m a big fan of Nourish Organics line of face cleansers.

3 // TONER

Although it may seem like an unnecessary step, a toner helps remove any remaining makeup or any other gunk from your face. Depending on the kind you use it can also clear acne and shrink pores.

While I’m sure there are great brands out there I use straight witch hazel and call it a day. Not all witch hazels are made the same though so only purchase T.N. Dickinson or Thayers. Other kinds are not pure witch hazel.

If I am suffering from acne I will add a few drops of tea tree oil. For wrinkles, I add rose essential oil.

I’ve also been known to use apple cider vinegar (mix with water if you have sensitive skin!) to banish acne overnight.

4 // MASK

Once a week I use a face mask, my favorite being the turmeric mask. It’s a bit messy and you’ll swear your face will be orange forever but I promise it won’t. And the results are fantastic!

When I do buy a mask I usually purchase Ahava’s Dead Sea Mud clearing mask because it does exactly what it says without using any bad chemicals. Plus it’s got Dead Sea Salt in it. Good stuff.

5 // SERUM

A serum is basically a product used to deliver some good nutrients to your skin.  Ninety percent of the time I use straight grape seed or almond oil which are full of alphabet vitamins (you know A, C, E…).

If you have some extra cash ($54) you could splurge on something like KORRES Wild Rose Vitamin C Active Brightening oil which delivers amazing results, too.

6 // MOISTURIZER

Ah, finally we’ve arrived at the moisturizer. No surprise, I usually make my own face lotion from shea butter and a small handful of awesome ingredients.  Otherwise I use either Ahava daily moisturizer or OLE HENRIKSEN’s sheer transformation. Both have proven great on even my very sensitive skin.

Whew, and that’s it. I know for some of you that may not seem like a very minimalist routine but when it comes to my skin, I don’t mess around.

What is minimalist about it is the amount of ingredients compared to most drug store brands, and how much I buy. I don’t purchase anything new until an old bottle is used up.

What are some of your favorite products? Are you moving toward a minimalist/clean skincare routine too?

Minimalist Skincare Routine - Guest Post with Sarah @ PrettySimpleIdeas | www.thetannehillhomestead.comSarah Althouse lives and works in Washington, D.C. with her husband Josh. By day she works in Communications and by night dreams about being Martha Stewart. Follow along with her latest DIYs, home & garden ideas, beauty tips and faith inspiration at Pretty Simple Ideas.

candy
    February 15, 2017 at 7:37 am

Love how simple your routine is and how easy it is to do and maintain without a ton of fuss.

February 17, 2017 at 8:57 am

I love it as well, Candy! She has everything to really take care of her skin, but not so much that it becomes overwhelming.

Marette Flora
    February 15, 2017 at 9:32 am

I love the toner you suggested once on my blog. It’s great! I use it every day now. I keep my skincare pretty simple as well. Simple is best!

Sarah Jean Althouse
    February 15, 2017 at 9:55 am

Thanks for featuring my post! While I like to simplify things as much as possible I also think it’s important to give our skin what it needs. 🙂

February 17, 2017 at 8:59 am

I am so glad you said yes, Sarah Jean! I love everything about this post, and I am so glad I was able to feature it! I completely agree with you, too. I have tried to use only cleanser and moisturizer before, but my skin needed more. After this post, I have devised a new routine for my skin; and it loves it! Thank you!! 🙂

Jen
    February 15, 2017 at 1:57 pm

I have struggled with acne prone skin since I was a teenager (we’re talking like 25 years now)… I’ve tried everything, including 3 rounds of Accutane, which worked for a while… but then I was back where I started years later. I have sensitive skin and everything irritates it, so finding products is hard for me. For the last 9 months, I have had amazing looking skin. What did I do? I’d like to say I found the perfect product, but it’s actually been the absence of using anything that made all the difference. I stopped using all my “clear skin” products and only wash my face with water in the morning/evening. No product. I also *rarely* use moisturizer now. I also stopped wearing makeup as well and just go fresh-faced. So far, so good!

February 17, 2017 at 9:02 am

Jen, sometimes what our skin needs is natural and simple products. My skin responds well to rose products, so I use almost all rose natural products. I also recommend Sarah Jean’s tumeric mask! It really did a good job on my skin!

Mistle
    February 15, 2017 at 4:55 pm

These are all a must for me when it comes to my skincare routine. I find that if you take better care of your skin early on, the better it will be when you get older. I have been using a lot of Mario Badescu products lately and I am loving them.

February 17, 2017 at 9:03 am

I completely agree, Mistle! I have not heard of Mario Badescu products. I currently use Andalou Naturals, and love them!

Patricia @ Grab a Plate
    February 16, 2017 at 7:40 am

I love homemade skincare products. They always seem to work so well, and are generally so easy to make! Need to check out the Konjac sponges! Thanks for sharing!

February 17, 2017 at 9:04 am

I am glad you enjoyed this post, Patricia! Sarah Jean’s tumeric mask is incredible! I definitely recommend giving it a try!

Jamie
    February 16, 2017 at 8:11 am

I really need to experiment more with making my own beauty products! This has me inspired to try!

Annie
    February 24, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Great post! I JUST started using a toner..finally. I love the idea of your natural ones.

February 27, 2017 at 9:13 am

I love a good toner, Annie! Witch hazel and rose water are my current favorites!

Karolina @ epilatorhome.com
    March 25, 2017 at 10:42 am

Beautiful post! Everything is so simple! I pretty much do the same thing. I simply love making my own beauty products such as moisturizer, face wash, etc. I like to know what I’m putting on my skin.

March 27, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Sarah Jean is amazing when it comes to a simple skin care routine. I love that she makes the point of using products that are a necessity to our skin’s health and not in the number of products we use.

Sally Mitchell
    June 16, 2017 at 5:55 am

Doing simple routine skincare is great! I love how you take care of your skin with those simple products and easy routines. Thanks for sharing your blog post with us. In my case, I only use a mild soap and water for my skin and use sunblock all the time. I also drink lots of water and that’s all I do to maintain a healthy skin. Well, I eat fruits and vegetables too, contributors of a healthy and glowing skin. By the way, do you think drinking capsules made from grapeseed is also good? Or using the oil is much better?

June 18, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Sally, I love that these are the only things you have to use. My skin is a bit more complex and needs some extra love. Water is definitely a great way to keep your skin looking resilient. I am not sure about consuming grapeseed oil, but I know that some oils work great for my skin externally. Grapeseed is on my list of oils to try, but I am currently loving Jojoba Oil!