This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure.
Last week, we discussed harmful ingredients to avoid in your beauty routine. In this post, we are discussing just the opposite and focusing specifically on the hair! Natural ingredients for hair renewal give your hair many benefits, such as strength, length, shine, and health.
By coming up with the right combination for your hair, you can easily achieve health hair you have dreamed about having!
Several of the ingredients that will be listed come in several forms. I will explain all the different ways to use these ingredients effectively in your hair care routine, so no worries!
Also, this post is part of a collaboration that I am doing with my friend Sarah at Pretty Simple Ideas! If you have been with me for a while, you have probably read her post: My Minimalist Beauty Routine!
We could not be more excited to be bringing you a challenge for November, known as Green Beauty Month! It includes something exciting at the end of this post, so be sure to read all the way to the bottom of this post!
If you are on your minimalism journey and beginning to wonder how you can simplify your beauty products, and what to avoid, this challenge is going to help you so much!
We are going to have a different focus each week, and talking about two different things within that focus. So make sure you check out Sarah’s post after you go through mine.
Natural Ingredients for Hair Renewal
When I discovered Sarah’s blog last year, I knew I needed to change my hair care system. After struggling with my hair for years, I finally realized why.
The ingredients in my hair were harmful to my hair and my health. They were not natural, and my hair rejected them. The products that seemed to work only masked the underlying problems.
After some research, I knew that I may not ever have sleek, shiny hair from simply letting it air dry. However, I knew that by taking care of it with natural ingredients, my hair would style easier and become healthier the longer I used them.
It has also helped me learn more about the kind of hair I have and how to nurture it better.
The ingredients I am sharing with you are some that I have seen amazing results with and use often! These are my tried and true ingredients that help all hair types and situations!
1 // Rosemary
Rosemary is a great ingredient for your scalp and hair. It helps to nourish a dry scalp, promotes hair growth, and slows the graying process.
Rosemary strengthens hair to reduce hair loss, as well! It is my go-to ingredient for when I just feel like my hair is not looking its best.
Two ways you can use Rosemary include using it in the essential oil form or steeping the leaves in hot water. Either of these will work great in treating your hair.
Here is how I use each of them:
- Essential Oil Form: Combine 5 drops with coconut oil and mix together. Apply to scalp and hair, then let sit for 30 minutes. Wash off with shampoo and conditioner like normal.
- Steeping Rosemary Leaves: Steep the leaves for 10 minutes in hot water, then let cool. After shampooing and conditioning hair, apply the water to your scalp and hair as a rinse. Do NOT rinse out afterwards.
2 // Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree Oil is an amazing product that I use for many things, especially my hair! It battles dandruff, itchy scalp, hair loss, and head lice! Amazing right!!
I love using it when seasons change, or the city does something new to the water. My hair seems to go crazy during both of those changes, so having Tea Tree Oil to smooth everything over is perfect!
Here is how I use it:
- Hair Mask: Combine 5 drops with a warm carrier, such as coconut oil or jojoba oil, and mix together. Apply to scalp and hair, then let sit for 30 minutes. Wash off with shampoo and conditioner like normal.
- With Shampoo and Conditioner: Add 2-3 drops with your natural shampoo and mix together. Shampoo hair as normal and rinse. Add 2-3 drops with your natural conditioner and mix together. Comb through hair, focusing away from scalp to end of hair. Let sit for 3-5 minutes, then rinse.
3 // Honey
Honey is amazing for so many reasons when it comes to hair. It is an emollient, so it locks in moisture and gives your hair shine.
Honey promotes hair growth because it removes impurities from your scalp, enabling hair follicles to open up and grow beautiful hair. This also reduces hair loss and scalp issues.
Here is how I suggest using it:
- With Shampoo: Mix a small amount in with your natural shampoo. Shampoo hair as normal and rinse. Follow up with conditioner.
- Hair Mask: Coat hair and scalp in honey. Let sit for 30 minutes. Wash off with shampoo and conditioner like normal.
The fun thing about honey is that you can make several different types of hair masks with it, so have fun with it! Here is what Google found when I searched ‘honey hair mask’.
4 // Eggs
Yes, you read that right! Eggs are a great protein source, which is great to use as a hair treatment! Depending on the type of hair you have dictates to which part of the egg you should use.
If you have normal hair and just want to condition, use the entire egg. If you have oily hair, use only the egg whites. To treat dry hair, the egg yokes are perfect!
Here is the best way to use it:
- After cleaning hair, apply the egg to hair. Leave in for 15-20 minutes, then rinse with cool water. Do NOT use warm water, as this may cook the egg.
5 // Avocado
Avocados are rich in Vitamins B and E, which means that avocados help with the condition of your hair and scalp, as well as revitalizes it! If your hair has lost all of its life, you should try an avocado treatment.
Here are a couple of ways to use it:
- Conditioner: Mash up the avocado and mix in water to create a creamy paste. Apply to mid-length of hair and move towards the ends of hair. Leave in for 5-10 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- Mask: Mix one avocado and egg yoke together. Add water to create a creamy texture, if necessary. Apply to scalp and hair, and let sit for 15 minutes. Rinse with cool water [again, warm water may cook egg]. Wash hair like normal.
6 // Apple Cider Vinegar
If you have heard of the “No Poo” Method, you are probably familiar with the suggestion of using apple cider vinegar. I personally love using it as a rinse for my hair after I have dried, curled, and hair sprayed my hair.
It adds back in moisture and prevents my hair from becoming brittle. No worries with using it and not washing it out of your hair. The smell evaporates as your hair dries, so I promise you will not smell like vinegar all day!
It is also great for clarifying your scalp. If you start to notice build up, use this before washing your hair! It really loosens up the build up so that the shampoo can clean it out of your hair.
How I use it:
- Hair Rinse: After rinsing conditioner, apply apple cider vinegar to ends of hair. Do NOT rinse.
- Scalp Treatment: Apply to dirty, dry hair. Keep focus on scalp. Allow to sit on scalp for 5 minutes. Shampoo as normal.
7 // Pumpkin
This list would not be complete without everyone’s favorite fall ingredient! Pumpkin is a great conditioner for your hair. It is especially great for dry, damaged hair.
It contains folate, zinc, and potassium which are all great for promoting hair growth. The folate increases blood circulation, so your scalp will really rejuvenate after treating your hair with pumpkin.
Here are some fun ways to use pumpkin for your hair:
- Hair Mask: Combine 1 cup of pumpkin puree [if you have fresh pumpkin, puree it in a blender or food processor], 1/4 cup of coconut oil, and 2 tbsp of honey. Dampen hair, then apply the mask. Let sit for 20 minutes, then wash hair as normal.
These are not the only natural ingredients for hair renewal you can use, but these are some of my personal favorites! I enjoy trying new ways to take care of my hair, and these are the ones I use most often.
What natural ingredients for hair renewal do you use that I did not list? Which of these mentioned will you give a try? Let me know below in the comments!