Self-Care Simple Living

Mental Cleanse Challenge: Week Four

I may make a commission from the links within this post. Learn more.

Hello hello hello! Welcome to week four, the final week of the Mental Cleanse Challenge! I hope you are loving this challenge as much as I am!

Can you believe we are in the final week? It seems like yesterday was the first day.

Clearing our minds of all the clutter has been interesting thus far, and I am excited to see how the final challenges clear our minds.

Need to reduce the stress in your life, but aren't sure what to do? Then this challenge is PERFECT for you! Get started with this Mental Cleanse Challenge today, and remove your unnecessary stress and anxiety.

Mental Cleanse Challenge

Week three was a great week for me! My digital clutter needed cleaned up for some time; and I finally made the time.

Often times we do not realize how much digital clutter effects us until we clean it up a bit. I will show you what I mean in my week three review.

Before we jump into week three’s review, I want to update you on my life this past week.

Last week, I told you about happened with one of my fur babies, and how devastated we were with the news. We took Chevy to the vet for a follow up this past week, and [vet update].

Week Three Review

Day 1: Clean out your inbox and sort your emails into folders. Delete all spam. //

I loved cleaning out my email accounts! I try to keep my emails as close to zero as possible, but with these past few weeks, my email accounts have been accumulating many emails.

Day 2: No social media before 11 a.m. Take the time to be productive! //

This day did not go so well, but it was Valentine’s day…. So I tried this out another day to give it a fair try. I was able to accomplish it this past Saturday, which just so happened to coincide with Day 6!

Day 3:  Unfollow people on social media who do not inspire you. //

I am very picky about who I follow on social media, so this day was a little too easy for me. I did not really have anyone to unfollow.

However, this made me feel good, because that means that I am intentional with each person I follow at any time versus when it is a challenge. Realizing this perked me up some!

Day 4: Organize your desktop accordingly into folders. Delete unnecessary items. //

I am not one to have many icons on my desktop, but I got lazy for a bit. Here is a shot before I decluttered my desktop:

Mental Cleanse Challenge: Week Four | www.thetannehillhomestead.com

Here is my after shot:

Mental Cleanse Challenge: Week Four | www.thetannehillhomestead.com

Much better right?! Do you see now how digital clutter can clutter your mind? Hopefully so!

I love having as little icons as possible on my screen, because that means I should have my computer files somewhat organized. I also decided to remove a few task bar icons, so that I have just the apps I use every day.

Day 5: Go through your phone and organize apps into folders. Delete apps you do not use and delete old notes, contacts you do not need, etc. //

I cleared over 300 photos from my phone, deleted old lists, deleted several apps, and rearranged a few things. Here is what it looked like before I decided to add a little personality back to it:

Mental Cleanse Challenge: Week Four | www.thetannehillhomestead.com

After watching a YouTube video, I found a new way to store my group apps. I decided to simplify as much as possible.

In the following photo, I have 4 groups: 1. Communications, Camera/Photo, and Clock; 2. Banking apps (blacked out); 3. Social Media apps; and 4. Reminders, Notes, Settings, and everything else.

I also changed the little icons from each group name to “.” to keep it as visually simple as possible. I also really like this background, because it makes me think of Hygge [dutch for cozy, warmth, feel good, etc.].

You may be a little confused after seeing it; but to me a stack of logs reminds me of a warm fire, with a cup of warm tea and blanket. Without further ado, here is what my phone currently looks like:

Mental Cleanse Challenge: Week Four | www.thetannehillhomestead.com

Day 6: Have a phone-free night with family or loved ones! //

I got to spend the entire day with my husband! We took our fur baby to the vet for her checkup, visit some of my family, and work in the yard a bit. The entire day was lovely!

Day 7: Unsubscribe from email marketing you are not interested in keep up with anymore. //

I do my best to keep my subscriptions low. I am easily tempted with the coupon code companies can send, so unsubscribing from all marketing is essential for me.

Unsubscribing was pretty easy, because there were only a few that needed addressed.

How did you do this week?

What was your favorite challenge for the week?

Mental Cleanse Challenge: Week Four

Day 1: No compliant day!

Day 2: Write down 3 great things that happened today

Day 3: Spend 15 minutes in silence focusing on yourself and what makes you unique

Day 4: Compliment a stranger

Day 5: Write a letter to yourself explaining why you are unique

Day 6: Ask a couple of friends to describe you in 3 words

Day 7: Write out your challenge wins & treat yourself!

Before we get into week four’s challenges, let us hop over to Kiara’s update to see how she did!

I think she had a good time this week from the couple of times we talked on social media, but I am interested to read her complete update!

Jackie | Fresh Fit Florida
    February 20, 2017 at 7:21 am

I’ve really been enjoying following these posts! Sounds like the challenge is going really well for you!!

February 20, 2017 at 2:14 pm

I am enjoying this challenge greatly, Jackie! I feel everyone needs to try it at least once this year. It has really transformed my mind and released so much! I will write all about it in my final update next week.

Kiara
    February 20, 2017 at 7:32 am

AmaIng job with last week’s challenges! I’m glad you were able to accomplish the no social media challenge before 11 (even if it was a few days later–life happened, and I’m glad you decided to give it another try!) and I’m so excited for this week of positivity challenges! What an amazing month it has been working on this!

February 20, 2017 at 2:18 pm

That was a pretty difficult challenge, but I wanted so hard to accomplish it. I knew I could do it if it were a normal day versus Valentines Day 😉 I am very excited for this week, too! I think we are going to have overflowing cups by the end of it; and I cannot wait! This challenge has been great for the big changes that have occurred recently in my life. I know I keep thanking you for collaborating with me, but I really am so thankful for this opportunity! So thank you, again, for saying yes!

Sarah Jean Althouse
    February 20, 2017 at 8:06 am

I’m glad you didn’t unfollow me on social media. haha! Seriously though, I love how “positivity” is one of your weeks! We should practice these every week actually.

February 20, 2017 at 2:19 pm

I do not know… It was a pretty close call… haha! Just kidding! I agree. I do want to start incorporating several of these challenges on a regular basis in my week. I love how freeing this challenge has been for my mind. Have you tried any of the challenges?

Katie
    February 20, 2017 at 10:23 am

I love the compliment a stranger idea! I was at Target the other day and a lady was standing in front of something I needed but seemed to be examining several items, unsure what she was going to buy. I said “excuse me, do you mind if I just grab this? Thank you so much.” and she started telling me how polite I am and how it’s such a breath of fresh air. She totally caught me off guard (mostly because manners just seem obvious) because her simple comment of saying that I was so polite, just really lifted me up probably as much as it did her.

February 20, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Aww! That is great, Katie! I love when people recognize when you are trying to be polite. I also love just randomly complimenting people. Making other people smile makes my heart feel so full!

Christine
    February 20, 2017 at 10:49 am

Thank you for this! I love the tips and plan to go back and review the other days!

I write daily about both the challenges and the wins – I think they are both important and carry their own lessons.

I also find the complimenting a stranger or simply thanking them can make such a difference both for yourself and the other person!

February 20, 2017 at 2:29 pm

I am so glad to hear this, Christine! I love that you are writing out your wins everyday! I am writing them out every few days, but I bet everyday is much better! I love complimenting strangers for the exact reason you mentioned. It does fill my heart, but I think it also does a great thing to the person I compliment. You never know what that person is struggling with at that moment. You could be the person that shows other people there is still great things in this world!

Jen
    February 20, 2017 at 3:29 pm

I love these challenges and seeing how you’re able to incorporate them into your day! You’re motivating me to do the same – thank you!

February 21, 2017 at 9:02 am

You are most certainly welcome, Jen! I am so happy this challenge is motivating you!

February 20, 2017 at 4:40 pm

You don’t realize how all these spammy and marketing messages filling up your e-mail can really stress you out, but it can! I love unsubscribing and then not having nearly as many e-mails to pour through on a daily basis. Such great tips!

February 21, 2017 at 9:04 am

I completely agree, Cara! I used to think all I needed was a new email address, but I finally learned the art of unsubscribing. My email life has improve tremendously ever since I learned that.

Neely
    February 20, 2017 at 5:41 pm

I wish I could do the no social media before 11 AM. I bet that is hugely helpful. Its so negative.

February 21, 2017 at 9:06 am

Neely, it was not easy by any means! If I had not had my dog’s vet appointment, it would have been more difficult.

Nadalie
    February 20, 2017 at 9:13 pm

This is so great and so needed! Totally sharing on social and going to try and do it!

Manda chappell
    February 21, 2017 at 10:59 pm

Love the idea of writing yourself a letter of why you are unique! Might be a challenge but what a way to learn self love!!

February 22, 2017 at 8:38 am

I think it will be a challenge as well, Manda. This will probably be a difficult day, but also very rewarding. I am hoping to make mine my new daily affirmation.