Declutter Declutter Challenges

2017 Declutter Challenge – created by The Tannehill Homestead

Happy New Year! Today, we get to start the 2017 Declutter Challenge!! I am sure you are beyond ready to get started on decluttering your home, life, and mind. I know I am! Even though I did a massive 30 day challenge last January, things seemed to have multiplied throughout the year [especially around Christmas].

Before we really get a grip on the new year, we need to remove distractions, physical clutter, and mental clutter that have accumulated during this past year. Letting go of the excess gives us a fresh start for all that we want to accomplish in 2017!

How many times do you reorganize your clutter? Probably more than you care to admit, right? Well no worries! The 2017 Declutter Challenge is going to help you clear out the clutter for good, so that you can enjoy life and stop reorganizing the clutter.

2017 Declutter Challenge!

For this challenge, we will be doing things a bit different than last year’s declutter challenge. I believe these changes will make a big difference in the results we will achieve compared to last year. Now, I am not bashing on my last challenge, so please do not take it that way. I know that many of us had great results! One participant in particular was able to rid her home of over 1,900 items!! What I am doing different is taking the best of last year’s challenge and adding to it. I want our results to double, triple, or even quadruple what we were able to achieve last year.

If you did not participate in my challenge last year, know that you too are capable of removing LOTS of items from your home you no longer need. Let me guide you through it and prove it to you! I had no clue I or anyone else could do it, but we did!

How do the declutter challenges differ?

1. Our main focus will be on decluttering rooms. Categories will our secondary focus versus main focus.
  2. We will work one week at a time. Pacing ourselves over these 30 days will give us the best chance at to declutter everything we no longer need.
  3. We will not have “daily tasks” for this challenge. There will be 6-8 tasks per week, but you can complete them as you like throughout that week.
  4. I have a FREE printable to help you keep up with your progress! It is located down below for you!

I will post each Wednesday in January with the week’s tasks as well as personal updates. If you have any questions, please feel free to comment below or contact me by email.

What do you do now?

1. If you have not already, be sure to subscribe via email [If on desktop it is in the column to the right. If on mobile, it is located below a photo of me.]. This way you will be notified of when the weekly tasks are posted.
  2. Find a challenge buddy or two! Having someone to hold you accountable or compete with during the challenge.
  3. Click HERE to print the FREE printable or simply click the below picture!

2017 Declutter Challenge by A Welder's Wife | www.thetannehillhomestead.com

Hopefully you are just as excited as I am about getting started in this declutter challenge! Remember to subscribe via email [If on desktop it is in the column to the right. If on mobile, it is located below a photo of me.] so you are the first to know when the tasks are posts! See you then!

Week One’s Challenge!

Week Two’s Challenge!

Week Three’s Challenge!

Week Four’s Challenge!

Wrap Up!

Sarah Jean Althouse
    January 2, 2017 at 10:21 am

Yes!! What an awesome challenge. I think my apartment is now pretty clutter free after tackling it last year but there are some hidden corners and drawers I need to address!

January 2, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Thank you, Sarah Jean! I know what you mean! I thought the exact same before I decided to do another challenge, but there is something about starting the year off as freshly decluttered as possible.

Jackie
    January 3, 2017 at 8:44 am

Love starting off the New Year decluttering. That’s going to be a goal for 2017 for me. Started off going through old clothes and purging. Feels so good!

January 3, 2017 at 9:02 am

I did my big declutter last year, but I feel that each year needs to start off fresh. I am so excited to get started tomorrow! I hope you will join me in this challenge, Jackie!

Kare4
        January 13, 2017 at 4:43 pm

This is my first time, i am not sure what all to do, or how to start. I ,last year lost my house to a fire, so we lost everything except the close we were wearing. There was a sense of freedom, that is after the sholk wore off aproximately nine months. Now i feel there is too much, i feel i am hording.

January 15, 2017 at 11:55 am

I can only imagine loosing everything in a house fire. But I am glad to hear that you found a freedom in that process. If you follow my tasks, you will definitely be decluttered by the end of this challenge! The link to each week that has already been posted are found within this post, and if you subscribe by email, you will receive an email for each post that follows these.

Deb
    January 3, 2017 at 10:47 am

This sounds just like what we need. My mother was a hoarder and we inherited her house. It seems like we just don’t know where to start. It is a big 3 bedroom 2 bath with 2 floors and a basement… basement is full and so are two bedrooms plus dormer storage. All jam packed with as much as she could get in them. We’ve already cleared out the upstairs bathroom, the living room, the kitchen and the laundry room. We’ve minimalized everything to the two extra bedrooms and basement. I cleared a dormer out just before Christmas. It would be nice to get rid of the things not needed and be able to have a cleaned out house that I don’t have to tell people not to open certain doors in for fear of them being buried alive. So I’m definitely in!

January 3, 2017 at 1:06 pm

I can only imagine the situation that has put you into having not only to inherit her home, but also her things. When we first moved into our previous home, I had a “hobby” room that I was embarrassed to let others see. It was full of so many good intentions, but honestly it was a junk room. When I finally cleared it all out, I was so happy to have people over just so I could finally show them a room I finally cleared. All that was left was a desk and book shelf. It is crazy how we think we need so many things, and you are right, it is difficult to know where to begin sometimes. I think the biggest key in tackling something at that level is just starting with the box closest to you and sorting through it. That was the only way I could conquer my room. I am excited that you are joining in on this challenge with us! I think you are going to enjoy it very much!

Kim Studdard
    January 3, 2017 at 11:46 am

This sounds so much easier than doing it all at once! I decluttered quite a bit before the New Year, but I need to do some more. Thanks for this!

January 3, 2017 at 1:08 pm

I am so glad you are joining me! I agree, we can always use a little more decluttering. 🙂 I hope that what I have set up is a great pace for anyone who wants to thoroughly go through there things and declutter.

Rachel
    January 3, 2017 at 12:24 pm

This is such a great challenge. Decluttering is a top priority for me this year!

January 3, 2017 at 1:09 pm

That is a great priority, Rachel! That was my focus for pretty much all of 2016, and the results are better than I could have imagined. This year, my priority is to declutter right now and get it out of the way so that I have time to focus on building my passions in life. I hope you have a fabulous 2017!

Neely
    January 3, 2017 at 3:21 pm

I love the idea! I am always looking for more ways to declutter

April Bishop
    January 3, 2017 at 3:52 pm

I’m new to this, this year and I’m excited to start trying it. I’m ready to declutter all of the junk I have lying around and you’ve written it so beautifully.

January 4, 2017 at 10:43 am

Thank you, April! I hope that means you are joining me in this challenge. I love going through once a year to declutter my home. Living clutter-free allows me to relax much easier at the end of the day, and my sleep routine has improved a lot.

Elizabeth Doren
    January 3, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Downloading and accepting the challenge! No clutter in ’17! Or focused clutter in ’17…

Dawn
    January 6, 2017 at 10:16 am

How fun. I love a great decluttering challenge. We downsized our house 2 years ago and that helped us “cut down” and “cut back”, but I’m always looking for more ideas. I’m definitely not a minimalist but I’m constantly trying to say NO to more stuff.

January 7, 2017 at 3:05 pm

We just downsized last year, Dawn! So I definitely get the downsizing of possessions. I do hope you will join in on this challenge!

Rose
    February 4, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Hi Erin,

I have decluttered quite a big bu t feel too guilty to give away old antique decorative plates, embroiderd doilies, etc. They belonged to my great grandma and my grandma gave them to me before she passed away. Any advice? Thank you!

February 10, 2017 at 8:54 am

Rose, I understand the struggle. I keep only the pieces that mean the most to me. For me, that is my pot holders my grandmother made for me. I also have a few quilts from two great grandmothers. Remember it is not the item that means something, it is the memories you hold dear that mean something. I am not perfect by any means when it comes to sentimental items, but these are a few guidelines that have helped me. The last thing I have to consistently remind myself of is if I am storing it, does it really serve a purpose in my life. If I am not using it, could someone else enjoy it? Hope this helps!