Declutter Declutter Your Home

150+ Things I Tossed When I Downsized

A year ago, my husband and I downsized our home from 1,450 square feet to 600 square feet. At the time, I did not realize how challenging it would be to declutter everything we owned. However, a year later, our home is clutter free! Reflecting back on the things I tossed in preparation for downsizing, I realize that we do not have to have a lot to be happy. In fact, I am learning that just the opposite is true.

Sometimes when I am on Pinterest, I see posts telling you to toss these items or things you can live without. I read through them thinking there are a lot of really small things on this list, such as paper clips and stretched out hair elastics. While these things on their own do not make much difference, 200 small things can take up quite a bit of space.

After thinking a while, I though it would be a great idea to share with you what I let go of personally during this transition, so that we could be clutter-free in our smaller space. I have grouped these into categories and have numbered them to give you a slight idea as to how much we let go of, but note that some of these consist of several pieces. For instance, I have no idea how many shirts I have let go of, and it is only listed once.

150 Things I Tossed When I Downsized My Home

If I had to guess, I would say we let go of over 1,000 individual items easily! This would be counting every picture, hair elastic, piece of paper, item of clothing, etc.

*** Disclaimer: Everything “tossed” was divided into the categories of donate, sell, or toss. I did not simply throw everything in the trash. ***

Laundry Room / Cleaning Supplies

1. Iron
  2. Ironing Board
  3. Sponges
  4. Old Floor Cleaner
  5. Mr. Clean Sponges
  6. 2 Windex bottles
  7. 2 Comet bottles
  8. All Purpose Cleaners
  9. Clothes Baskets
  10. Clothing Rack
  11. Bag Full of Hangers

Decor

1. Christmas Decor – one large tote full!
  2. Old Glass Jar

4. Blogging Apps
  5. Old Contacts
  6. Old Text Messages
  7. Photos [transferred most to computer and deleted what I did not need]
  8. Pretty Background [to simplify the aesthetic appearance]

Related Post: What Happened When I Removed Several Apps From My Phone

Who knew we had so much we did not need in our life?! As far as the space we freed to downsize, a close equivalent would be a car and a half sized garage. I will say we were not hoarders by any means. Having 1,450 square feet to fill allowed us to have that much excess. With the exception of my Office/Craft Room, everything had a place. When we decided to downsize, we no longer had that much space to fill, and I wanted a clutter-free space.

Related Post: Tidying Goals that were Achievable In A Weekend!

My husband and I discussed what downsizing would mean in terms of what we owned, and decided the best thing was to let go of everything we could. It was the best decision we could have made for our lives! Letting go of personal attachment to items freed us from the stuff that did not serve a purpose in our lives. I know I always talk about how minimalism changed my life, but it definitely changed my husband’s life as well.

Now that you have read this post, head over to my next post of how I tossed more than 250 items after this declutter!!

August 22, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Wow! That’s awesome Erin! It looks like we might be moving into an apartment from a 1200 sq ft house and I’m feeling overwhelmed by all that we will need to get rid of. I think I can get rid of a lot but it takes so much work to find where to sell or donate it. You’re giving me some hope today! 🙂

August 22, 2016 at 12:22 pm

That is so exciting, Christine! Best advice I can give you is to start immediately with sorting what can be “tossed”. The sooner you start, the easier it is, and it will allow you to see how much you have to move. When I realized how much stuff we still had, I was not happy and found more to purge. If you can store what you want to sell for a garage sale, I suggest to try that [maybe do a multiple family sale]. Otherwise, Facebook and Craigslist are really great sites to use. What size apartment are y’all looking to move into?

Kate
      January 16, 2018 at 2:25 pm

Craigslist free is a great place because there are a lot of people out there that can’t even afford to go to thrift stores.

Ayleeann
    August 22, 2016 at 12:19 pm

That’s a lot of stuff! What did you keep? What things are essential for your life? I have recently downsized to 400 sq ft but I kept the iron and ironing board. LOL

August 22, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Not very much! haha! I hate to iron, and maybe used them 5 times in the 9 years I owned them! To answer your questions in detail, I can probably write a full post! [Maybe even find more to purge!] We have everything for the bathroom and kitchen anyone could desire. I am still working on purging my kitchen. I use everything I have, but I do not like it all. I am working on switching a few things for things that will work better for my needs. I have a capsule wardrobe for everyday/work and a separate one for working at home [I live in the country, so it is a necessity.]. The only collection we have is my books, and they all fit in one bookcase. This is just a glimpse of what we have, but you definitely gave me an idea next week’s post!

Jill
      October 11, 2016 at 7:35 am

You should invest in a Joy Manganous steamer from HSN. They’re small and easy to use at home and for travel. There are lots of color choices available
      and inexpensive.

Esther | The Cuteness
    August 22, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Good for you!! I’m in the process of getting rid of so many things I don’t need… it’s so liberating!

Susannah
    August 22, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Wow! That’s awesome that you were able to get rid of so much stuff!!! I got rid of a lot when we moved here but I’m going to get rid of even more when we buy our house and move again! <3

August 22, 2016 at 2:59 pm

That is great, Susannah! I have been consistently working at it to get it where I want. I feel I still have a ways to go, but I have come so far that I had to share it with you! 🙂

Kristal
    August 22, 2016 at 5:27 pm

This was such a fun list to read! One of the things I love about pursuing simple living is that everybody has their own essentials. Getting rid of your apple slicer stuck out at me, because I use mine almost daily. I couldn’t count how much I have gotten rid of and am continuing to get rid of, but I will keep my apple slicer 🙂

August 23, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Thank you, Kristal! If you use it daily, by all means it is essential! I have used mine twice in the several years that I have owned it. I love apples, but not my apple slicer.

Rachel
    August 22, 2016 at 6:20 pm

Wow, you go girl! I’ve slowly been making some declutter/toss moves but still have a long way to go!

August 23, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Thank you, Rachel! It has taken me a year to get this far, but the progress in that time has been worth every effort! Keep it up and you will get to where you want to be! 🙂

Ashley Stephenson
    August 23, 2016 at 6:52 am

I really need to go throughout my house and throw out a lot of things that are just cluttering closets and drawers. I have so many things from college (I graduated in 2013) still cluttering our house!

August 23, 2016 at 2:11 pm

I know what you mean, Ashley! I graduated from college in 2012 and just recently decided to give up my textbooks that I have not used in all that time!

sara
    August 23, 2016 at 7:04 am

I love this post. With 5 kids in my house right now I can only dream of getting rid of clutter and downsize. It feels so good to get rid of things we don’t need anymore.

August 23, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Thank you, Sara! Oh my, I could not imagine having 5 kids to clean up after, but we are an empty nest right now. Little by little you can get it done! Just work in the places that are in your control and work from there. 🙂

melanie
    August 23, 2016 at 7:45 am

Wow you really downsized a lot!! That’s a whole lot of stuff. Glad some of it was donated because there are so many people that would love to have what we call our junk. This gives me some great ideas of stuff to get rid of the next time I decide to unclutter the house…it might be awhile though 🙂

August 23, 2016 at 2:17 pm

I am glad I could help give you some ideas, Melanie! I actually have two more totes full of things to donate and give to family. If I cannot appreciate it, someone else can.

August 23, 2016 at 8:35 am

Although not 600 sq my husband and I currently live in an apartment and just don’t have room for extra clutter either. I’m always amazed at things I feel bad about getting rid of…only to realize I never really needed it after all! We really need a lot less than we think.

August 23, 2016 at 2:20 pm

That is so true, Sarah Jean! Now that I feel tidy in my home, I have a box available at all times for things I find throughout the month I no longer need. In the span of two months, I have found more than I thought I would to donate! Crazy how the less we have the less we want.

Erin
    August 23, 2016 at 8:39 am

I definitely need to go through my home and purge! I lost count of how many times I was nodding my head at items on your list! You are inspiring me to declutter ASAP!

August 23, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Do it, Erin! I promise with motivation, you will “toss” more than you thought possible and be so pleased with how clean and tidy things are after you are done!

Katie
    August 23, 2016 at 9:49 am

Wow!! That’s amazing!! Though admittedly, I use my blender every single day so that thing could not leave my life! haha

Taylor Mobley
    August 23, 2016 at 10:39 am

I would have such a hard time getting rid of so many things!

August 23, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Taylor, it was not easy, but this has been a year’s worth of decluttering. I could not imagine purging all of this at once. It has definitely been a process. As my life simplifies, so do my needs. It has actually become very easy to distinguish what I need versus what I keep for not so good reasons.

Laina Turner
    August 23, 2016 at 12:40 pm

We are working toward de-clutter at my house and it can be hard but the areas we’ve been able to tackle are so nice to look at. There is so much we really don’t need.

August 23, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Oh yes, Laina! It is definitely difficult to purge certain areas. I try to purge an easy area then use the motivation to work on the harder ones.

Liz
    August 23, 2016 at 12:50 pm

I did a similar cleaning/organizing spree through my house earlier this year and everything just feel lighter. I need to do another one and write down what I’m tossing…to help me avoid buying new things! Awesome post!

August 23, 2016 at 2:30 pm

That is a great idea, Liz! I have not thought of having the list as a reminder of what I do not need, but now I think I am going to start using it for that purpose! Thank you!

Melanie
    August 23, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Once I read this list, I’m thinking of all the things I should be “tossing” too! I have a ton of beauty samples that I should probably sift through. Eek! You’ve inspired my fall cleaning!

Mamaguru
    August 23, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Wow! I have minimalist friends and I’m always amazed. It’s a great way to live. So, you gave up ironing too? That sounds good!

August 24, 2016 at 5:36 am

You could say that.. It was more for the fact that I never used it and did not make time for it. I can count on two hands how many times I used my iron in the 7 years I had it.

Neely Moldovan
    August 23, 2016 at 6:14 pm

This list is amazing! Pinning!

Suzanne Hines
    August 23, 2016 at 6:22 pm

This is so fabulous! I find that clutter accumulates SO easily! I absolutely love going through a room and just tossing things! It’s so satisfying and makes my life feel so much less cluttered (even if it is something as simple as a couple stretched out hair ties!)

Margaret
    August 23, 2016 at 7:33 pm

De-cluttering for us means selling or giving 95% of what we own and moving into a fifth wheel trailer. In two weeks, as we move from this house, I’ll know for sure if we were successful.

August 24, 2016 at 5:40 am

This sounds wonderful, Margaret! I would love to minimize my possessions for a chance to travel! It just is not feesible for us right now! Please let me know how it works out for you!

Patricia @ Grab a Plate
    August 23, 2016 at 8:32 pm

I can only imagine how freeing this would be! I need help getting rid of books, makeup, jewelry, and kitchen supplies! Good for you!

August 24, 2016 at 5:44 am

I struggled with these categories as well, Patricia. I am still struggling with my kitchen, but over time it gets easier. I have found that once you eliminate the easy discards, you can really focus on what you believe is essential. I have narrowed down much more than I thought I could have just taking it one step at a time. Feel free to contact me any time! I would love to help you in any way that I can!

Justine Y @ Little Dove
    August 23, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Wow! Just reading through your list seems so liberating! I think I’m okay about going through things… but then I really take a look around and I know I have so much more I could do!

August 24, 2016 at 5:46 am

This process is definitely a commitment! But it is really worth the effort, Justine! One step at a time each day can get you farther than you ever thought possible!

Anna
    August 24, 2016 at 8:29 am

I recently did a mini clean sweep, but you have motivated me to go full on! Thanks! xo ~Anna http://www.pepperedinstyle.com

Whitney Fike
    August 24, 2016 at 9:08 am

We’re moving into a new house and this is so helpful!

Kate
    August 24, 2016 at 10:12 am

Wow, this is impressive! We need to seriously declutter our home. I need to be tougher when I go through things. I always get stuck on “well, we might need this” or feel sentimental over things I shouldn’t feel sentimental over!

August 24, 2016 at 11:34 am

I understand both of those instances, Kate! I still struggle with both of these. It is a process, and some days it is easy to let go of things while other days it is extremely difficult. Finding a day where you feel ruthless with your possessions is usually the best to declutter these difficult items – at least that is what works for me.

Melissa
    August 24, 2016 at 10:28 am

I loooove this!!! Just goes to show how much “STUFF” we have that honestly we do not need!! They say a cluttered space is a cluttered mind, I should try to cleanse my office and see if I become more productive!

August 24, 2016 at 11:41 am

Thank you, Melissa! That saying is very true! I am not sure how well it works in the office, but in my home it has made a tremendous difference!

Jen G
    August 24, 2016 at 10:59 am

Wow! You really did downsize! I love that you tossed the iron and ironing board…that made me smile. I hate ironing!

August 24, 2016 at 11:36 am

Oh, Jen, me too! I let go of anything that required ironing – mostly because I would never wear it! I can count on two hands how many times I have used it in the last 7-8 years, and that is not enough to keep it. My solution is a wardrobe that requires ZERO ironing!

Amber
    August 24, 2016 at 11:39 am

Wow! That’s impressive! I consider myself a minimalist. I try and do a clean sweep of the house twice a year and donate tons! I dont know how we build up so much stuff considering I dont go out and buy stuff hardly ever! Kids, husband, pets, gifts and everything add up to a clutter! I want to go down to one car now that I’m a SAHM but I’m not sure its feasible for us.

August 24, 2016 at 11:45 am

Gifts and a husband can definitely be reasons for more to come into the home [I do not have children, but I am sure they are as well.]. I also do not shop often, and it is out of necessity when I do. We could not survive with one vehicle due to living in the country and working in opposite directions, but I admire those who try it!

Shani | Sunshine & Munchkins
    August 24, 2016 at 2:37 pm

What an amazing list! I know that when my husband and I were in college and living in tiny apartments, we just didn’t have the space for extra stuff and could only keep what we really needed. We are in a home now and have more room to spread out (and collect STUFF), but I am always looking around to see what I can get rid of.

p.s. Super excited to have you on the blog on Friday! 🙂

August 25, 2016 at 8:36 am

Shani, I wish we would have started out that way. With being unable to fill a 3 bedroom 1 bath home, it was easy to let things pile up in a room we did not use. Most of what was “tossed” came from that room. I am excited for next week’s post, because I have been able to shed a light on some other things that I have kept for who knows why! It will definitely be a thought provoked post!

p.s. I am too!! 🙂

Pamela Li (Rookie Parenting)
    August 24, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Good for you! One of these days, I’ll have to do this, too. One of these days …. 😉

August 25, 2016 at 8:37 am

Pamela, there is no time like the present! You do not have to sort through and “toss” as much as I did, but even a fraction of this list can make a difference!

cara
    August 24, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Wow, I can only imagine how big the list would be for me-haha. It is amazing what you accumulate over the years though and the things you don’t really “need”. Great post!

August 25, 2016 at 8:39 am

It definitely is! Downsizing really helped me see all the excess we have. It was not easy to share this list, and I probably do not have every listed that I have “tossed”. I am glad you enjoyed it!

Bridget
    August 24, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Gosh, we accumulate so much stuff (JUNK) year to year! How awesome of you to get rid of it! Thanks for sharing this 🙂

Aly Funk
    August 24, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Wow!! That is amazing! I need to do this!

Brianna Leigh
    August 24, 2016 at 10:23 pm

I’m trying to do the same right now….this list is so helpful!

Mary
    August 25, 2016 at 8:24 am

I so need to do this! My little place is getting way too cluttered!

Riley Barker
    August 25, 2016 at 11:16 am

Thank you for the inspiration to do this to my house! I need it and we are getting ready to move!

August 25, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Riley, that sounds like perfect timing! Moving and downsizing was how I found minimalism. Thank goodness, too, or I would be smothered in all of this mess still!

Emma | Creative Explorations
    August 25, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Wow! This is awesome — good for you! Decluttering is something I definitely need to work on…

Emma | http://www.creativexplorations.com

August 25, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Thank you, Emma! It is definitely a process! Take it one step at a time, and you will be decluttered before you know it!

Jessica Beer
    August 25, 2016 at 8:00 pm

You are superwoman! I am way too much of a packrat and could never get rid of so much! That’s amazing!

August 25, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Jessica!! Haha! You have totally make my day! I wish I was superwoman! This has all been in the process of a year. While most was at one time, I still continue to declutter. Trust me, no one is as much of a pack rat as I used to be! If I can downsize, anyone can!

Rachel
    August 25, 2016 at 10:16 pm

That’s a great list! Downsizing always sounds so good but then it seems like it would be something we need to do when the kids are out of the house.

August 27, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Thank you, Rachel! I am sure it is easier to do without the children home, but maybe start in areas that are not their spaces. Explaining to them that you are letting go of things you do not need anymore to give to those who do will inspire them to clear our a few of their things. Just a thought. 🙂

Bonnie
    August 26, 2016 at 11:02 am

That is so great Erin! I am all for simplifying my life! Thank you for the great motivator!

Lyndsay
    September 1, 2016 at 10:25 am

Oh my gosh! This list is so inspiring! The kick in the butt I needed to read today. 🙂 I do have one burning question though: Did you have an extra iron, or do you not iron at all anymore? Because THAT is something I need to learn more about-haha!

September 1, 2016 at 10:53 am

Lyndsay, I am so glad I was able to give you that kick! Haha!! I am iron free! I got rid of anything that had to be ironed in my closet, because I would not wear it due to not wanting to iron. I had it for several years and can count on two hands how many times I used it. [sad, I know!]

Michelle
    October 9, 2016 at 4:29 pm

I am loving your site!! This afternoon, I have gone through all my old recipes and tossed out dozens that I have never tried and probably never will. The rest are in a notebook, and I have a home for some of my cookbooks already. Also, I’ve gone through some old clothes and my electronics drawer… I’m feeling better already. Thanks!! 🙂

Dia All The Things I Do
    October 10, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Wow. I am moving into a slighter smaller place in December (it’s the size of the apartment I had last year but moved into a bigger place but now losing 100 sq.ft.) so I’ve been thinking about what all I can get rid of. I want to slowly do this over the next 2 months so it’s not like “Bam! You got rid of all your stuff.” I’m hoping little by little will become a lot.” Thanks for the list this will help me a lot.

October 10, 2016 at 7:37 pm

That is exactly how you need to handle it. Waiting until the last minute with either cause regret, or you will move too much into the space. I will say being brutal with yourself helps a lot! Good luck, Dia!

Sarah Jean Althouse
    November 2, 2016 at 10:03 am

This looks like the list of things I get rid of this weekend when we moved! 🙂

November 2, 2016 at 10:09 am

That is great, Sarah Jean!! It is funny how we can get rid of so much during the moving process, but somehow it is more difficult when we are settled!

Sam
    November 5, 2016 at 12:27 am

Wow, Erin I’m inspired!! How do you survive without an iron and ironing board? 🙂 I want to start this too!!

November 5, 2016 at 10:09 am

Sam, my rule for clothing is it has to come out of the dryer wrinkle-free or I do not own it. I used to have several pieces that I loved, but would not wear because I am not going to iron them. It has made my life and my wardrobe less complicated and less time consuming! So glad I could help inspire you!

Kali
    February 19, 2018 at 4:03 pm

I have to ask: how on earth do you iron your clothes? Everything else looks manageable. But iron and ironing board? And laundry baskets? Were they extras? And if not, aren’t those essential? I don’t even have to forget my clothes in the dryer to get wrinkles.

February 19, 2018 at 9:03 pm

Kali, great questions! I don’t iron. My clothes are typically wrinkle-free when I remove them from the dryer. Using wool dryer balls helps decrease the wrinkles, I think. I used to have clothes in my closet that never saw the light of day, because I hate ironing. When I removed them from my wardrobe, I no longer needed my iron. The laundry baskets were extras. I only need two for my household, and there were a few extras.

Chris
    February 22, 2018 at 5:46 pm

We downsized after 30 years in the home we raised our four children in. I am a numbers person, and when we moved, we had gotten rid of 1365 items….. some as small as a CD, and as big as two couches, a snowblower and a generator. I love empty shelves, nothing on the floors in the closets or under the beds.

February 23, 2018 at 11:25 am

I am a numbers person, too, Chris! However, I did not dare count the items I got rid of just because I would probably freak out by the end of it. haha! Having white space in a home is so relaxing, and I am glad to hear you have that now.

CHRIS
    February 23, 2018 at 11:47 am

We were never savers, since we had garage sales almost every year, but things do accumulate. I did make and have kept (at least for the last 20 months) the promise not to let more than 5% back in to the new house. In fact I still try to get rid of two things, for every one item that comes in. I think people “spend” ,…. pun intended… their 20s and 30s acquiring, their 40s and 50s maintaining and upgrading and 60s and 70s getting rid of STUFF!

February 23, 2018 at 12:05 pm

That is an interesting outlook in the relationship to money and age. [love the pun!] I know my husband and I have spent our time acquiring things, but we try to do it more intentional that just having things. For us, it is so that we will have more flexibility to enjoy the life we worked so hard to build together. Since we are opposites when it comes to spending, one of us saves for important things and the other spends on them. It works out really well actually. I will be curious to see as the years go on if we continue to follow in the pattern you have laid out today.