Declutter

250+ More Things I Tossing After Downsizing My Home

I may make a commission from the links within this post. Learn more.

Downsizing our home meant that we tossed a lot of things to fit into our new space. Upon moving into our home, we got rid of so much! I could not believe how much we no longer needed in our lives. But today is not about reflecting on what I tossed in order to downsize; it is about what things I am tossing after downsizing.

250 more things I'm tossing after downsizing... That's something I never thought I would say after clearing out so many things before we downsized.

250+ More Things I am Tossing After Downsizing

If you read one of my recent posts [150+ Things I Tossed When I Downsized], you know I downsized my possessions a lot more than I could ever believe possible.

However, my anxiety levels have increased. Not knowing why, I decided to alter the music I listen to, simplify my schedule, and spend more time outdoors. While this all helped, I still felt like something was off.

By making mental notes each time I felt it increase, I found a few things that triggered my anxiety. In general, it is my surroundings. Even though my space is not cluttered anymore, the idea of storing so much bothered me.

When we downsized, I knew we would build a home within a few years. I knew I could store most of the decor that I wanted to keep, but did not have space to put on display. Our loft had plenty of space to store it, so I packed it up and stored it.

One day, I binged watched a YouTube channel, and felt inspired.

This beauty guru cleaned out all of the products she accumulated over the years, and worked her collection down to less than half of her original collection.

While watching this, I thought of what else I could let go of to simplify even more. These videos gave me the motivation to tackle my items I had originally decided to store away for when we build our home in a few years.

A big push in this was noticing how much this YouTuber’s life changed, as well as taste in decor, over a few years. If her taste changed as drastically as it did in less than 5 years, mine probably would change some as well.

That was when I decided I could only keep what was absolutely precious to my husband and I. The rest would be donated, repurposed, or tossed! Hence the now tossing after downsizing…. Oh the joys of being inspired! haha

I went through home decor, blankets, Christmas decor, Fall decor, stored clothing, etc.

I let go of 2 large totes FULL of things! [The pictures below does not do these totes justice, but I wanted to show you how full they were!]

It felt so liberating to get rid of what I may or may not like in the years to come. The pieces I treasured were already on the walls, and what I decided to keep are things that are not easily be replaced. [At the end of this post, I will include a list of everything that was donated.]

I took these totes the very next day to the donation station, and trilled to only bring back the totes!… At least for a day or so….

The next few days were questionable, and I was asking myself if it was enough. I had gotten my Christmas decor down to 1 large tote [not counting the tree of course!], and Fall and home decor down to 1 medium tote each!

However, I still felt anxious. Weird right?! My space seemed pretty minimal, minus my book collection.

After I thought about it for a while, I decided it was time to do a cleanse of my possessions, and create a more serene space.

How I Cleansed Each Space

For the bathroom

I decided to paint my aloe vera pot white to tie into the space better. A small and simple fix!

For the kitchen

I moved all of the vegetables off the counter top to have more space. Replaced my two small utensil holders with one large basket to hold my utensils better. [I do not have a lot, but some pieces are bulky, and I like having them all together.]

I purged a few items due to excess. [These items will be listed at the end of the post.] I also ordered a sample of fabric to see if it will work to get the kitchen project complete.

For the living space

I purged my book collection. Looking at it every day reminded me of which books I have not to read, and which book I need to finish. Asking myself why I needed a book helped a lot!

I let go of 40% of my collection by analyzing why I held onto a book! For the books I have yet to read, I did read the synopsis to see if it still sounded appealing to read. If it did, I kept it. If not, the library received it!

Below are two pictures of the books I donated. The two towers were easy enough to make a decision on, and the other picture were the two items I thought about before making my decision.

For the bedroom area

I simply cleaned up the space, put everything in its place, and organized my clothes and shoes. I tried my best to simplify the appearance of what we have.

We do not have an enclosed closet, and having empty hangers bother me! I caught up on laundry and hid the extras we have, so that my mind could release this silly annoyance.

For everything else

I went through and tossed what was not necessary to keep. I have old sports awards that I want to keep, but I told myself I could only do it if it fit in my keepsake box.

Also, I had a couple of boxes to go through and sort, and was able to clean out all of the boxes and rid them from our space. One box contained random cords, another contained office supplies, and a box of things that accidentally ended up in the garage sale stuff.

Having these boxes out of the space is so nice! Since I do not have or need an office anymore, I took my supplies to work and actually use them instead of storing them!

Now I can look around my home and not see just-in-case boxes or a task I need to complete!

By the time I finished, I had 2 large totes and 2 boxes full of things to donate, 1 sack of things I tossed, and a more tidy space than before I started! How in the world did I still have so much excess?!

My goal now is to have the rest of my stored things organized into the empty totes and get started putting my fall and winter capsule wardrobe together. I ordered a few pieces, secondhand from Poshmark, and I am really excited!

Now let us get to the list of what I donated! Starting with the list of home goods, and then a list of the books I gave to the library including the reason why I let go of each one.

Home Goods I’m Tossing AFTER Downsizing [Donated]

1 Christmas card holder
1 organizer box
3 Christmas gift boxes [decor]
1 scare crow candy container
1 Trick or Treat candy container
2 Red Beaded Christmas Tree cones
22 cabinet hinges [From a project that did not happen. Returned to store for store credit.]
1 Wine Glass
3 wooden cooking spoons
2 spatulas
1 cookie spatula
1 pair of tongs
4 vintage picture frames
20 old pictures [ tossed… not going to donate pictures of myself of course 😉 ]
Several sheets and pillow cases I did not know we had [I repurposed these into shop rags for my husband.]

I know I will never be 100% finished with decluttering, but I hope this is the last of what feels like massive decluttering in my home! Now, I am going to keep a box by the door and take donations one every month or two, if that.

Tossing after downsizing isn’t recommended, but when you downsize your home by more than half, it is difficult to know exactly what that looks like. It takes time because it is a process. At least, these are things I’m telling myself.

If you are tossing after downsizing, know that we are in this together!

If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below for me! I love reading and replying to them!

Also, I have a great Facebook Community you should join! It is The Tannehill Homestead Facebook Community, where like-minded women come together to encourage and inspire each other in our journeys.

September 12, 2016 at 8:30 am

Definitely feeling inspired right about now! It is funny how clutter can really add so much anxiety depending on your personality type especially. While my husband could live in clutter forever, it bothers me to no end to see things not have a home or dedicated space. My crafting supplies have really gotten out of hand lately and I need to figure out a way to get it under control. Thanks for sharing all these tips! 🙂

September 12, 2016 at 8:41 am

So glad I could help, Cara!! It is funny how people can tolerate different levels of clutter. My husband does not mind clutter in some areas, but he does have certain spaces he will keep completely clean. I, on the other hand, love all spaces to be tidy. I do have my moments, but when my home is tidy, I am able to focus better.

Briana
    September 12, 2016 at 9:15 pm

This is great! I do the exact same thing by getting rid of things and feeling so relieved and excited about clearing away the excess just to come home and not be satisfied with all I had accomplished! I think you really hit it on the head when you directed some of your efforts on the aesthetics of your spaces. I think by taking a step back and evaluating the overall look of your space you’re able to see your space differently than when you focus on specific objects – this also tends to result in a little more in the donation bins! I’ve done the same thing and felt a longer lasting sense of peace. Keep up the great work!

September 16, 2016 at 7:46 am

Thank you, Briana! You know, I did not realize my focus for decluttering changed, but I guess it did! That is probably the exact reason my bins and boxes were so full of things to donate! I hope this feeling last longer, because I am not sure how much more can go out the door!

Kathy from CT
    September 13, 2016 at 6:57 am

I was amazed at the difference painting the plant pot made. Instantly cleared my head. Though I love earth tones, it is making me rethink some decorative items. Thanks for the inspiration.

September 16, 2016 at 7:48 am

I am glad I could help, Kathy! I was surprised as well! This is not the first pot I have repainted, but it is the first that was able to work in my space before I decided to downsize my color palette in my bathroom. I love it even more now!

September 22, 2016 at 10:59 am

Great job! We’re moving to an apartment in 2 weeks (ahhh!!!!) and we’ve gotten rid of SO much, but I’m still really worried that we’re keeping too much. I’m just not sure if everything will fit and it’s stressing me out. I really like the things I have left, so it’s making it hard to get rid of much else. This gave me some fresh motivation though!

September 22, 2016 at 12:47 pm

I know exactly how you feel, Christine! I decluttered before and after the move. I understand how hard it is to let go of things, but are also unsure if you have the space for it. I unpacked slowly once we moved and it helped so much! If you do not have to do it all at once, I definitely suggest it! Moving is very exciting, so stop stressing! 🙂 These are your final moments in your current home. Soak them up as much as possible!

Michelle
    October 9, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Love this! I will be moving soon and have been thinking about going minimalist. I have held on to so much over the years, but it’s time to let go. I’ve done this before, but I go back to collecting “stuff” and eventually letting go. No more! Also, I’m trying to go paper-less as much as possible, and I’ll be digitalizing stuff, like DVD’s, old family slides, photos, cassettes (yeah, still holding on to those). I’m feeling so motivated now! 🙂

October 10, 2016 at 8:34 am

I am so glad to hear this, Michelle! I am glad that I could help give you the push you needed to get back on track! 🙂 Going digital sounds great, especially when it means less to pack when you move!

Nena Lega
    October 18, 2016 at 12:38 pm

I need to do the same because the clutter is driving me nuts! We also donate whatever we no longer find use for because it might just be what someone else might need:)

October 19, 2016 at 8:17 am

Nena, I like your thought about donating. You are right, and you never know what people need that you may have and not need.

ladyNOD
    October 18, 2016 at 1:30 pm

I can’t stand clutter as it reflects my current state of mind so I make sure to declutter as often as possible, and Monday seems to be my favorite day for the task. Way to go !

October 19, 2016 at 8:22 am

I can definitely relate! I have not though of picking a day to declutter, and Monday does seem like a power day to really kick the week off right. You may have adjusted my schedule a bit! 🙂

Paige Strand
    October 18, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Once I moved away from home, I realized how silly and trivial things can be – like why do we make storage space for things we rarely use, or forget to use? In Vancouver, space can get a little tight with 650sqft so I have really learned to downsize. Great post!

October 19, 2016 at 8:26 am

Great minds must think alike, Paige! I have always thought that storage was a waste for someone who was stable in their home. [I understand it for moving purposes or being in between for a couple of months, but that is my only exception.] I currently live in a 600sqft studio style apartment, and I cannot stand the idea of this small of a space being cluttered. Glad you enjoyed the post!

Susannah
    October 18, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Way to go, girl! Posts like this inspire me to continue purging!! <3

October 19, 2016 at 8:27 am

Thank you, Susannah! Glad I could assist in inspiring you to keep up the great work!

Lauren
    October 18, 2016 at 3:24 pm

It feels so good to throw stuff away!! With two small kids I feel like our “stuff” multiples by the minute. Thank you for the inspiration 🙂

October 19, 2016 at 8:32 am

I do not have children, but I do have a husband… that is kind of the same thing, right?! [Haha!] Decluttering is always going to be a work in progress, so I keep a box by my door to put things in I no longer want. When it is full, I decide if a friend/family member needs it or donate it. Glad I could help inspire you, Lauren! 🙂

Erin | Very Erin
    October 18, 2016 at 4:27 pm

That’s AWESOME! I’ll be honest, I’m terrible at throwing things away. I definitely want to improve, but it’s hard to take that first step. Thanks for the inspiration!

October 19, 2016 at 8:34 am

I completely agree, Erin! I was reluctant at first, but I was also fed up with my surroundings. My tip would be to find an area you do not have a problem decluttering and work from there. It could be something as simple as sorting the mail or checking for expired products in your pantry or makeup.

Jessica
    October 18, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Hi Erin, I love that I found your blog! I have similar minimalist style – based on the KonMari Philosophy! It even helped inspire my new fashion/style blog focused on helping busy professionals while investing in items that truly spark joy 🙂 Great post!
    ~Jessica

October 19, 2016 at 8:45 am

I have gone through her book and have purged according to her suggestions. I really like the idea of tidying by category. The fact that you found inspiration to start a fashion blog is amazing, Jessica! I have not really seen a blog for professional fashion, so I am definitely going to be check out your blog!