Intentional Living Self-Care Simple Living

10 Small Ways to Be Happy Today

I may earn a commission from the links within this post. Learn more on my full disclosure page.

They say it is the small things in life that make the biggest impact. While I am not sure who “they” are, I believe it to be true. One of the hardest things in this world for some is to be happy.

For some it doesn’t comes easy, but it is possible to change that. However, there are small ways to be happy that you may or may not know about.

They say it is the small things in life that make the biggest impact. While I am not sure who "they" are, I believe it to be true. One of the hardest things in this world for some is to be happy. For some it doesn't comes easy, but it is possible to change that. However, there are small ways to be happy that you may or may not know about.

You can change your mood with a simple decision, and doing a few or all of these can make it a bit easier. I DARE you to give them a try! I DARE you to be a little happier than you were before you read this post!

10 Small Ways to be Happy Today!

1 // Grab, make, or order your favorite morning drink!

By indulging first thing in the morning, you are setting the standard for the day. Make it a great one by enjoying your favorite morning drink!

2 // Wear an outfit that you can rock!

You know the outfit that makes you smile and you cannot help but share with others. Wear it! Here is an extremely simple outfit I wore the other day that I could not help but share on my Instagram!

Super simple, comfy, and easily rocked! An outfit can seriously make or break your day, so always dress in ways that make you feel amazing!

Related Post: Wardrobe Rebuild: New Wardrobe You’ll Love in 6 Easy Steps

3 // Smile!

You can have a rocking outfit, great morning drink, but without a smile, it is not the same. So put on your biggest smile and head out that door!

4 // Complement someone.

If you see someone carrying a purse that is gorgeous, let them know! If you think they have pretty hair, tell them! It will not only make their day, but it will also brighten yours!

5 // Rock your favorite playlist!

Everyone knows music is a huge influence to your mood. Playing sad music helps a pity party, but playing road trip music or more upbeat music can really make your day!

Right now, I am playing Ed Sheeran Radio on Pandora. While not every song is necessarily happy, I love singing a lot of them… out loud… at work! [Yikes! Thank goodness no one is here while I am performing a concert while working!]

6 // Pay it forward.

Whether you pay for the person’s meal behind you in line or help someone with their groceries, pay it forward! It will bless the both of you, and improve both of your moods!

7 // Google images or videos of puppies and kittens!

Trust me, the cuteness will make you so happy! [Do not believe me? Give it a try!]

8 // Try a new makeup look.

Something fresh, fun, and different from your day to day routine can have a HUGE impact on your day!

For instance, I tried a couple of new contouring tricks this morning, and I love how different it makes me look. I probably will not do this every day, but today it was worth the extra effort!

9 // Make a Gratitude list.

Listing what you are grateful for allows you to see what you have in life. It gives you a reason to be happy!

10 // Find 10 things in your home to donate to a local charity.

Donating to help others can definitely make you happy! Giving what you no longer need to those who do is a much better option than tossing it into the trash.

As a recent example, I decided to switch out my foaming soap dispenser for a new glass soap dispenser. I was simply going to toss my old one [not sure I could have donated it…] until I saw that a friend on Facebook was needing it! It was a win-win for the both of us!

Of course, these small ways to be happy are not the only ways we can be happy. Big things like completing a big goal or moving into your dream home can really improve how happy you are, but big accomplishments come and go.

With focusing on the little things, you have a chance to increase your overall happiness each and every day. Before you know it, your entire outlook on life will shift, your mental health will improve, and you will wonder how you ever lived any other way.

Let me know below in the comments if you practice any of these already, and if not, which ones will you try!

Kiara Catanzaro
    September 26, 2016 at 6:41 am

This is a wonderful post! It’s so funny because I have essentially the same post going live on Friday with many of the same tips! Great minds think alike. We’ll have to come up with minimalism/happiness type of collaboration pretty soon! 🙂

September 27, 2016 at 12:19 pm

How funny! That sounds like a wonderful idea, Kiara! I would love to know what you are thinking!

Jenine
    September 26, 2016 at 8:14 am

I love these tips. Simple but effective steps toward a happier day. I can totally do this 🙂

September 26, 2016 at 8:25 am

Googling cute animal pictures definitely does it for me too. 🙂

Chloe of beyond blessed
    September 26, 2016 at 9:39 am

Aodre this! I completely agree, complementing others really does bring so much joy to yourself as well. Great list!

Kristina Proffitt
    September 26, 2016 at 10:05 am

What a great list! Love your ideas! So happy to have found your blog! 🙂

Chanel
    September 26, 2016 at 11:26 am

I’m with you on #1 and #10! I have to start my day with coffee and it feels so good to declutter the house! I tried the KonMari method and failed miserably so I have taken an easier approach, LOL!

September 27, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Coffee and declutting are fabulous tools for being happier! Great picks, Chanel! I have worked through the KonMari method, but I did not follow it to a “t”. I love getting decluttering motivation by watching YouTube videos of what people are decluttering. It gives me ideas of things to declutter as well as the push to go and do it! Maybe they can help you as well!

Kimberly
    September 26, 2016 at 12:55 pm

I love all of these ideas! Getting dressed and putting on makeup really helps me! 🙂

September 27, 2016 at 12:24 pm

I am with you, Kimberly! There is something about making an effort to put yourself together that makes you happier!

Renee
    September 26, 2016 at 1:01 pm

I just recently did a gratitude list on my blog. Just writing the things you are grateful for, makes you feel more grateful! Good list…

Amanda
    September 26, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Such a great list! I think I’m gonna try a new makeup look. I’ve been a little boring lately!

September 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Do it, Amanda! I will do it with you! I have been a bit boring lately with my makeup as well.

Emilee
    September 26, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Wonderful post. ? it’s the little things that make life great.

Cassie || The Brunette With a Blog
    September 26, 2016 at 2:50 pm

One thing I like to do, is doing something nice for someone else. Even if it’s just letting someone with fewer items ahead of you in line at the grocery store, or holding the door open for someone.
    It’s the little things! Great post!

September 27, 2016 at 12:30 pm

I agree, Cassie! That is a great way to brighten, not only your day, but another person’s day as well!

Sarah
    September 26, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Love these tips! My morning coffee and some good tunes can always make for a great day.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More
    September 26, 2016 at 5:56 pm

These are some great ideas! A hot cup of coffee or tea, and a run or yoga class, are the perfect way for me to be happier.

September 27, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Those are great ways to be happier, Katie! Thank you for sharing what works for you! 🙂

Shani | Sunshine & Munchkins
    September 26, 2016 at 8:01 pm

It really is the simple things that make the biggest difference. This is a great list!

Rebecca Hicks
    September 26, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Anytime I’m feeling blah I try to pick out a cute outfit. It’s crazy how much it changed everything!! And coffee is my FAVE. I can’t start a morning without it!

September 27, 2016 at 12:27 pm

I agree, Rebecca! If I am running late, I choose no coffee in the morning… big mistake! Coffee just makes me so happy early in the mornings!

Breharne
    September 26, 2016 at 9:30 pm

#10 pick 10 things to donate to charity! I love this one, it is so easy to become materialistic these days and half the things we purchase either don’t get played with or sit on a shelf or end up in a cupboard somewhere. Great tips!

September 27, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Thank you, Breharne! I agree. By making a conscious effort to reduce consumerism, not only can it make our lives happier; but by helping others, we can make other people happier, too!

Suzanne Spiegoski
    September 27, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Loving this post! And yaaaasss to paying it forward! And to loads of cute puppy/kitty pics! They always cheer me up 🙂

September 27, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Thank you, Suzanne! Cute baby animals always make me happy, especially if they are of the fluffy sort!

Irene
    September 27, 2016 at 3:10 pm

The post is absolutely fantastic! I love it:)

irenethayer.com

Jackie
    September 27, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Love this!! My favorite drink in the morning always brightens my day and wearing a great outfit does too!!

Alix Maza
    September 27, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Starting my morning right is soo important to me! I YouTube videos of cute puppies also.

Chloe
    September 27, 2016 at 8:56 pm

I’m a strong believer in dressing well the feel well!

Maggie
    September 27, 2016 at 9:33 pm

These are such wonderful ideas! It is amazing that just one small thought or act can affect the mood of your entire day! Thank you so much for that important reminder!

September 28, 2016 at 8:18 am

You are certainly welcome, Maggie! It is definitely amazing to see how small acts can make or break a day!

Rachel
    September 27, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Love this! The day must always start with coffee 🙂 Paying it forward and good music are always instant mood boosters for me!

September 28, 2016 at 8:19 am

Same here, Rachel! My favorite cup of coffee seems to make my day wonderful!

Stephanie
    October 6, 2016 at 6:23 am

These are all fantastic ways to be a little happier. My personal favourites are blasting some music or cuddling with my pup. He always does a great job of making me happy.

Stephanie
    Adventures in Aussieland

Samantha @ Momma Wants Java
    October 6, 2016 at 7:43 am

I love this list! They’re all super simple things to do! I always feel better when I put on a cute outfit and a little makeup, and complimenting people always goes a long way. 🙂

October 6, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Thank you, Samantha! I agree, compliments definitely go a long way with the person you compliment and yourself!

Sara Giboney
    October 6, 2016 at 9:54 am

I love this list. Happiness is a choice, and we have to make an effort to create more happiness in our lives!

October 6, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Exactly, Sara! I love that we can choose happiness versus searching for what makes us happy, because the truth is it is not a destination.

Sheila
    October 6, 2016 at 11:44 am

I love this list! Especially trying a new makeup look. Doing something new either makeup or my hair always helps brighten my day a little. And, of course, coffee!!

Paula @ Paula's Plate
    October 6, 2016 at 4:33 pm

What fantastic tips, I love them! Rocking an outfit and paying it forward are two of my favorites 🙂

Sarah Jacot
    October 6, 2016 at 5:43 pm

This list is perfect for honestly anyone–college student, young professional, or stay-at-home mom! Anytime I can rock a cute outfit, I feel so much better about my day!

October 7, 2016 at 8:38 am

That is what I was striving for, Sarah! A cute outfit always brightens my day as well!

Heather @Boston Girl Bakes
    October 6, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Going to try some of these tomorrow- I hear you on #1- sometimes just splurging on a pumpkin latte can totally make my day 😉

Emma | Creative Explorations
    October 7, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Great post, Erin. Listening to music is a big one for me…my jams can bring a smile to my face on the worst days. Thanks for sharing — this post made my day happier!

candy
    December 16, 2016 at 8:16 am

Great ideas on how to make yourself and your day go better. I believe in giving a smile, always makes me feel better to give and to receive a simple smile.

Rachel
    December 16, 2016 at 9:55 am

Great list! In line with the puppy images, Buzzfeed has some hysterical articles that are instant mood boosters 🙂

December 16, 2016 at 10:14 am

Oh! I will have to check it out sometime! Thank you for the suggestion, Rachel!

Nicole Kroutil
    December 16, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Love this post! My favourite thing to make me happy is to donate. Me and my man donate items all the time, we’ve donated a full kitchen of groceries to a family in need when we moved and last year we had a spare Xmas tree with decorations and other items which we gave to a young woman who just moved out but didn’t have enough money to give her kids a christmas. Everyone deserves happiness!

December 18, 2016 at 2:14 pm

That is great, Nicole! I love donating as well! My husband and I like to do random acts of kindness, and donate to the homeless shelter in town. It feels so good to help others.

Neely
    December 16, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Smiling at strangers always works for me!

Jewels
    December 16, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Great list! I have a gratitude jar and I love the donation idea. It makes me happy when I’m able to help people

Dia All The Things I Do
    December 18, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Such a fun list. For me, it’s googling pictures of squirrels. They are nature’s comedians. A good Mediterainan coffee or Vanilla Pike sounds amazing right now!

December 18, 2016 at 2:16 pm

I will have to google squirrels! If they are as funny as you say, I will definitely be a little happier! Thank you for the recommendation, Dia!

Dylan
    December 20, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Awesome list! Music is strange for me because I always feel awesome and uplifted when I have some tunes in my ear, and yet I forget to listen to music! (of course except when I am working out, that is a no-brainer). Note to self: remember this tool I have!

December 20, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Thank you, Dylan! I understand completely! I went through a time where I forgot how helpful music could be… how that happened, I have no idea! BUT I will never forget it again!