Declutter Declutter Your Home

How To Simplify Your Home In 4 Simple Steps

Learning how to simplify your home is extremely important! Your home should feel like open arms upon entering, and embrace you once you do. Your home should be your safety net; the place you relax, rejuvenate, and build the strongest relationships; and where you are most comfortable.

The sad part is often time this is not the case with your home. You walk inside, see the clutter, and instead of relaxing, you become flustered. You instantly see the longest ‘To-Do List’ awaiting you, and that becomes all you can think about.

Related Post: 10 Simple Ways To Help Declutter Your Mind

Or maybe you have the coming home to a clutter-free home figured out, but something still does not feel right. As you walk around your home, you still feel cluttered. You feel like the feeling of rest and relaxation is missing, but cannot figure out why.

If you are in either of these situations, please keep reading, because I have something that may fix it. The best part is that it is so simple and easy you may not believe it!

How to Simplify Your Home in 4 Easy Steps

In order to have a calming and peaceful home, you have to keep it simple. Often times the more that is seen, the less your mind can relax. It is constantly working, and the more it sees, the harder it works. These following steps will help ease how hard your mind works and allow you to rest and relax in your home.

Step 1: Remove all home decor from the walls and shelves.

Box it all up and put it out of sight! By removing all decor from the walls and shelves, you are able to start with a blank slate. Leave it blank for at least 2 days. You want your mind to reset and allow yourself to remember which pieces you truly miss. You may be surprised by what you remember and what you do not.

Step 2: Pull out the pieces you miss.

For the past 2 days, you have thought of the pieces you enjoy and miss seeing. Pull these out and think of where you want to put them. You do not have to put them back in the same place, if you do not want. Enjoy what you have put out again for a minimum of 2 days without pulling out more.

Step 3: Sort through the remaining.

The pieces left are pieces you have either already forgotten about or they did not mean as much to you. If you have one or two pieces you come across you still really want to put out, do so now! The rest need to be sorted for donation, selling, or tossing; and dealt with according as fast as possible.

Step 4: Enjoy your new found sanctuary.

Now that you have rid your walls and shelves of the clutter you thought you loved, enjoy it! Your mind is finding a greater peace it did not have before you decluttered your home decor.

Are you surprised with how little you put on display again? Are you surprised with how much you had that did not mean much to you?

I would love to know how you create a calming and peaceful home!

August 3, 2016 at 8:27 am

I am a minimalist and yet always looking for new ways to declutter or live with less. I enjoyed your article, it was something different than I’ve usually read! I’ve heard to take everything out of a room if you’re looking to downsize, but not take things off the room and see what you miss. I liked that.

August 3, 2016 at 9:38 am

Thank you, Sarah Jean! I am glad I could provide a fresh idea for you! I love looking for new ways to declutter and challenge myself to live with very little as well!

August 3, 2016 at 9:48 am

Great tips! Still working on decluttering and downsizing, but taking it a day at a time helps.

August 3, 2016 at 9:59 am

Yes, it definitely does! I have learned that by pacing myself, I am much happier with the results. We all want it to be over with quickly, but rushing only creates the possibility of doing the work twice.

August 3, 2016 at 10:25 am

Good idea! I’m really careful about what I hang on my walls. People are crazy about the “gallery walls” with all of the frames, and they’re pretty, but way too much for me. I like a few, large items that are meaningful. I always try to make our house our favorite place to be. Calm and happy 🙂

August 3, 2016 at 11:28 am

I am the same way! I love it for other people, but my sensory levels cannot handle it in my home. I have maybe 10 things on the walls altogether.

Kelly
    August 3, 2016 at 10:26 am

Great tips! I’ve done this with a gallery wall of ours and once I redid it, I felt so much better!

Krista Nile
    August 3, 2016 at 11:25 am

Ughhh I so need to follow these tips! My house is so overwhelming right now and I just want to get everything OUT!

August 3, 2016 at 11:30 am

That was exactly how I felt before we moved, Krista! I am so happy we do not have tons of wall space to hang things now. I like having less on the walls. It feels calmer and more welcoming.

Debbie
    August 3, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Good tips. I’m gradually decluttering and decluttering.

Terryn Winfield
    August 3, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Oh my gosh, how unexpected! I love this idea! I don’t have much on my walls, but I do have a lot of decor in my home. I am definitely doing this.

candy
    August 4, 2016 at 7:09 am

I went as far as to clean out the room of all but big furniture I knew wouldn’t be leaving. Brought new inspiration and way to decorate and live.

August 4, 2016 at 2:31 pm

I bet it did! If I did not live in a studio apartment, I could probably try that as well. However, I do not have a space for the things I move out of it.

Corsica Nambiar
    August 4, 2016 at 7:13 am

I love doing things for the better I can sure follow these 4 steps!

Corsica | kissesfromcarolina.com

Ashley Stephenson
    August 4, 2016 at 7:34 am

Love the idea of taking everything off the shelves and walls and leaving in blank for 2 days – you will really notice what pieces you miss!

August 4, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Yes! When I did it, my situation was a little different. However, I realized which I missed and which I was ready to get rid of for good! It can really be eye opening!

Katie
    August 4, 2016 at 8:05 am

Great tips!

Amber Battishill
    August 4, 2016 at 8:05 am

Love your tips! I’ve been working on decluttering and its freeing to have less stuff! I love tip #1 and I’ll be doing that when we redecorate our fireplace room.

Bridget
    August 4, 2016 at 8:08 am

Thanks for sharing these tips! I feel like I do a pretty good job with clutter, but will definitely use some of your tips as well! Have a great day!

Jackie
    August 4, 2016 at 1:16 pm

I need to do this!

Kim
    August 4, 2016 at 3:52 pm

I really like the idea of redoing my walls/art. I love it, but I’ve been feeling a change coming on! Maybe my end of summer project 🙂

Brittany Ashmore
    August 5, 2016 at 9:38 am

I love the idea of removing things from the walls and starting fresh! Great tips!

Lindsey
    August 8, 2016 at 11:24 pm

Great idea to remove everything and bring out just the things you miss! Love it!