Minimalism Simple Living

Minimalism Inspiration – Friday Favorites #2

Welcome to the second Friday Favorites! Each Friday I show you some of my favorite minimalism inspiration resources! My hope is that you will find inspiration and motivation to live a simpler lifestyle. Feel free to share with me what you may have learned, felt inspired by, and/or who you newly subscribed for future content. I love getting feedback from you! You can comment below, or contact me directly with the link above here!

This week, I played catch up with my YouTube subscriptions. Lately, I have not had the time to watch all of the lovely videos of people I follow. This is due to gardening season, new puppies on our small farm, among other things! Some of the links I am sharing today are a result of this. I am also sharing, with you, a fabulous blog post and Ted Talk! Sticking to the same format as last week, I will share with you what inspired me with each link and why you should check out each one!

Friday Favorites – Minimalism Inspiration

1 // Sea & Silva – My Vegan Minimalist: Hair, Teeth, & Skincare Items – I am new to Haley’s channel. She is a Minimalist, Vegan, and Zero-Waster. Her bathroom essentials are what I am working towards with removing plastic from my life. I love how little she has, how it all has a purpose, and the lack of an  impact these products will have on the world. Haley and her boyfriend are planning to move across country with the premise of only moving with what can fit into their vehicle. This post is the start of a series to show us what the contents will be.

2 // The (Mostly) Simple Life’s 1 Kitchen Appliance that Saves Her Thousands of $$$ – I have been following Christine’s blog since I started blogging at the end of last year. I adore her posts, because she always has great tips to live a more simple life. This particular post was published this week. I think it is absolutely perfect for anyone who is trying to downsize their kitchen appliances [like myself]. You will have to click on the link to know all the details, but Christine is very thorough on why she insists this product saves her so much! She even shares several recipes that are simple and sound super yummy! I do not have this exact appliance, but I do have a smaller and very similar product that does a lot of these things as well. However, I may consider the upgrade after reading her post.

3 // Rachel Aust’s Bathroom Makeover – Rachel Aust could and may possibly make it onto every Friday Favorites post I publish! I adore Rachel for many reasons, and if you watch her YouTube videos, you may feel the same way. I love the simplicity of her bathroom when it comes to the colors, textures, and plants she uses. She even includes a quick DIY within this video for a very chic plant stand! By the way, she is totally the reason I have a fern now!

4 // Melissa Alexandria: The Easy Way To Start A Capsule Wardrobe – I have followed Melissa Alexandria for about a year now. She is an amazing person who figured out what she wanted from her life quicker than most. She is extremely inspiring in the way that she lives, and seems beyond her age with some things she shares on her channel! I should be sharing her YouTube channel directly, but you can click her name once you open the video. I specifically chose this post for two reasons: 1. It is simple and to the point as most of her videos are; 2. it is a more current video, so you can see possibly newer wardrobe pieces for inspiration in your capsule wardrobe.

5 // Ted Talk: 10 Item Wardrobe – Building from Melissa’s video, I watched this Ted Talk, and became inspired. I currently have approximately 20-25 pieces in my wardrobe, but I am really unhappy with my spring and summer capsule wardrobe. Taking on the challenge of a 10 item wardrobe would means choosing only pieces adored, and see how it feels to only wear these pieces. I am not sure how restricting 10 items would be, but it could be a fun challenge. Regardless, this should inspire us to work with what we love in our wardrobe, and figure out why we do not love the rest. Then we can make a decision in what to do with this piece.

I hope at least one of these links provides you with inspiration to live simple. It is a gift to be able to focus on living without distractions.

Simplicity is keen to figuring out our personal style, saving money, and curating a life we love. It is also a way to let go of stress and anxiety. There is so much to explore in life. Material possessions and a cluttered mind no longer need to hold you back form exploring them.

What is inspiring you lately? How are you working to simplify your life? Let me know below in the comments!

For more Friday Favorites among other minimalist posts, please be sure to subscribe via email with the below form.

Katie
    August 12, 2016 at 9:00 am

Looks like I have some reading to do! 🙂

Leslie
    August 12, 2016 at 9:48 am

I need to look into all of this! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Kelsi
    August 12, 2016 at 11:31 am

I have always wanted to whittle my wardrobe down to the things I loved the most. Fore some reason it is way harder than it should be considering we are just talking about clothes. My cluttered closet makes me feel overwhelmed and almost guilty when I look at it… I need to look up some techniques for decluttering and get myself organized!

August 12, 2016 at 12:31 pm

I think starting with Melissa’s video is a great place, and build from there. I would also suggest to cull the pieces you partially like, because when you downsize your wardrobe, you will not wear them. [Speaking from person experience.] You can also check out a post I wrote about rebuilding your wardrobe; it may help as well!

Rachel
    August 12, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Off to check these out – they all sound great!

Shelby
    August 12, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Ahh I am obsessed with these little potted plants! I need more of these in my home. And thanks stacking up my reading and viewing list for the week!

August 12, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Thank you Erin! I’m so excited! And I can’t wait to check out the rest of these posts.

August 13, 2016 at 9:41 am

You inspired me so much, Christine, with your post that I am officially challenging what I own in my kitchen! I cannot wait to see what the end result will be! Let me know which one out of the other links you learned from the most or liked the best!

Angela
    August 12, 2016 at 4:10 pm

I keep telling myself that I need to try the capsule wardrobe, but I scared! I’m going to check out the video.

August 13, 2016 at 9:43 am

Angela, for my first capsule, I packed away everything that was not included in my capsule. This way, if it did not work out I could easily add a piece back or switch some out to find what worked best for me. It also left all of the doubt and second guessing I was feeling. You may try that and see how it works for you! I loved mine from the beginning, and you may, too!

Julie @ trysmallthings
    August 12, 2016 at 7:33 pm

My summer wardrobe is out of control (I can’t stop buying light cotton dresses) and would love to take a more minimal approach to Fall with a significantly pared down wardrobe (if not exactly a capsule). I wear the same things over and over anyway. Maybe I’ll feel better if I do it with intention. Thank you for the inspiration!

August 13, 2016 at 9:45 am

I understand what you are going through with your wardrobe, Julie. I definitely believe having an intentional wardrobe is the way to go, regardless if it is a capsule wardrobe or not.

Terryn Winfield
    August 12, 2016 at 8:58 pm

I’m so glad you are doing this series! I hadn’t even thought about youtube for ideas, I will have to check out your recommendations! I really need to cut back on clothes for our whole family, it has become overwhelming.

August 13, 2016 at 9:47 am

Thank you, Terryn! I love YouTube! It is responsible for how I delve deeper into my emotional health and found creative ideas for being a minimalist. Plus, I love the visuals a video gives!

Kristin Davies
    August 12, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Great favourites!! I needed a little Friday inspiration!

jennifer L
    August 13, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Great recommendations! Will be checking these blogs/channels because they seem amazing!

Ashley
    August 15, 2016 at 7:38 am

I listened to the ted talk you shared! Thank you!!