Minimalism Simple Living

5 Easy Ways To Be More Of A Minimalist Today!

I may make a commission from the links within this post. Learn more.

With the 5 EASY ways I’m sharing with you below, you can minimize your surroundings today! By completing each one, you will be surprised by how much lighter your shoulders feel, lower your sensory levels are, and how put together your day can be.

Each of these tasks should take less than 30 minutes a piece depending on how clean or messy a certain area may be.

Related Post: How To Cut Cleaning Time In Half!

Everyone wants to simplify and organize their life in some way or another. Some downsize their possessions, some simplify their diet, and some get rid of it all to travel the world. Regardless of which category[ies] you fall under, you can be more of a minimalist today! You can simplify your life, organize it, and feel more at peace with your surroundings.

Are you ready to become more of a minimalist today?

1 // Clean out your purse [or, if a gentleman, wallet]

Take everything out of your purse. Toss what is not needed, such as old receipts. Analyze what is left, and decide what deserves a space in your purse.

Put these things back in your purse organized so that you know exactly where each thing is. Do not allow your purse to become the black whole it likes to be!

2 // Clean out your car

If it is not a duster, car insurance or registration ticket, or owners manual; remove it. Once everything is removed, wipe down the inside of the car.

If there are certain things you need to put back in place, such as a car organizer or car seat, do that now. Everything else goes back inside the home where it belongs.

3 // Clear off all counter tops & only add back what is absolutely necessary

Take everything off your counter tops and clean them. Replace what you have to keep on your counter tops, such as a microwave or coffee maker.

Sort through everything that remains and make decisions on what to do with it. You do not need decorations on your counter tops, as this will only encourage clutter.

4 // Cleaning Spree

Allow yourself 10-15 minutes to go through each room and grab everything that does not belong and return to its designated home.

5 // Sort through your mail pile

Yes, I can see into your home, and yes I can see your mail is piling up in a beautiful unorganized pile! [I used to be the same way!]

Sort into two stacks: important mail and junk mail. Recycle the junk mail, and deal with the important mail accordingly.

So why do we want to be more of a minimalist?

Look at what these 5 easy ways have in common. Each one allows you to declutter, simplify, and organize.

They also effect places you see each day. Each one of these spaces give off vibes that effect your mood, and trust me, you want them to be good vibes!

If these are clean and clear of clutter, imagine how great it feels!

If these are organized, imagine how smoothly your day operates!

The possibilities of being more of a minimalist are endless! Your shoulders will feel lighter, your sensory levels will complement your day, and your day will run smoother.

So let me ask you, why would you NOT want to be more of a minimalist?

Kiara Catanzaro
    August 8, 2016 at 6:40 am

These are great tips, Erin! I make it my mission to sort mail every single day so nothing piles up. I also make sure that nothing is out of place in my home by “cleaning as I go.” So no dishes in the sink, the bed is made when we wake up each morning. Everything is in place for the day!

August 9, 2016 at 12:22 pm

That is awesome, Kiara! Having a routine like this will keep you clutter free easier than anything else! Great job!

Katie
    August 8, 2016 at 8:26 am

I am constantly going through my purse and make it a point to go through the mail every day when I get it. If it’s junk, trash it, if it’s important or something to check out, I do it right away or put it in my planner to deal with asap.

Terryn Winfield
    August 8, 2016 at 9:41 am

I am striving to be more of a minimalist, but it’s hard with a large family. I will vow to work on my diaper bag/purse and car today though, those places are clutter magnets!

Shari
    August 8, 2016 at 10:11 am

Great tips for keeping the clutter down. I find that I need to do these pretty frequently lol.

August 8, 2016 at 12:00 pm

I’m so glad I incorporate most of these in my daily schedule because it’s so helpful! I say most, because I’m bad for letting my purse become a black hole lol. I’ll try to do better on that one! 🙂

August 9, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Haha! We have all been there! It is really nice to clean it out at least once a week to feel like I have a fresh new purse, minus the new purse smell. 😉

Laina Turner
    August 8, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Getting control of the clutter is the top item on my home priority list these days. Thanks for the tips.

Suzanne Hines
    August 8, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Great tips! I need to go clean out my car! It’s to the point where it’s pretty embarrassing!

August 9, 2016 at 1:08 pm

We have all been there, Suzanne! I used to have the messiest car, but now I cannot stand to leave anything in it!

Rachel
    August 8, 2016 at 3:52 pm

This is great, thank you for the reminder! My purse and countertops are definitely getting cleaned tonight!

KP
    August 8, 2016 at 6:45 pm

Cleaning out my car sounds like the worst thing ever right now, but it really needs to be done. I have a collection of I have no idea what in the trunk. I also REALLY need to declutter my mail pile. I bought these adorable binders to sort my bills out in but I have yet to use them.

August 9, 2016 at 1:12 pm

I know early how you feel, KP! I have tried the organizer, but I found that electronic credit card statements and check duplicates were far easier to work with. I just put everything I need for taxes in an envelope and I am done! You have to find what works best for you, and when you do, celebrate! 🙂

Krista Nile
    August 8, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Ugh, the dreaded mail pile!!!! I HATE when ours builds up!!

August 9, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Me too! It is something I force myself to deal with immediately or I have to suffer through a huge pile! So not fun!

candy
    August 9, 2016 at 6:56 am

Simple cleaning and decluttering that keep me sane and going.

August 9, 2016 at 7:02 am

Love your tips, as always! I want to be more of a minimalist so I appreciate what I have more – and to make cleaning the apartment easier!

August 9, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Aww! Thank you, Sarah Jean! I could not agree more with your statement. I have found a great amount of peace by becoming a minimalist, and I could not see myself living another way.

Mardene Carr
    August 9, 2016 at 8:23 am

These are excellent tips. There are so many good reasons to take this advice. Chief of which we will have less stress

Marette @ Floradise
    August 9, 2016 at 8:53 am

That mail pile really annoys me. I do agree that cleaning out your purse regularly simplifies life. I feel less stressed when I can find things easily in my bag. Nice tips!

Rebecca
    August 9, 2016 at 11:31 am

Love this post. I go on cleaning sprees, though, and a few days later there’s MORE stuff! It just appears out of the void…. 😉

August 9, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Thank you, Rebecca! It takes a lot of work to be sure more goes out than comes into home. I still struggle with this on occasion.

BRittany
    August 9, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Love these tips! I’m trying hard to cut back on the clutter!!!

August 9, 2016 at 1:41 pm

That is great, Brittany! You can do it, especially if you start with these 5 steps first! The rest will fall into place.

August 9, 2016 at 1:36 pm

I need to do every one of these! Except the mail one. I’m pretty good about that. The car and my purse need some help though!

August 9, 2016 at 2:33 pm

I can guarantee you that if you do them all in one day, you will feel a lot lighter, especially with the purse! 😉

Hannah
    August 9, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Love these tips! Especially number 3! I try to this every month or two just to clear away all the clutter that just piles up when I’m tossing stuff down and forgetting about it–which happens more than it should haha.

August 10, 2016 at 7:02 am

I know exactly what you mean! I have had to make a conscious effort to keep everything cleared on a daily basis. With gardening season here, it has definitely become a challenge.

Sheila
    August 9, 2016 at 7:22 pm

I love this! I have so much trouble with the counters having so much on them. I really need to spend some time working on clearing them off more often. I always feel so much better when they are cleared.

August 10, 2016 at 7:04 am

It is nice having cleared counter tops. I try to look at minimalist kitchens often, and it inspires me to clear mine off more frequently.

Chanel
    August 9, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Number 3 & 4 are ones I need to do every day! I always get so overwhelmed. Thanks for the tips 🙂

Angela
    August 10, 2016 at 7:46 am

My mail and my purse get me everytime! I downsized my purse to a small crossbody because it was so out of control!

Heydy
    August 10, 2016 at 10:18 am

Taking control of yourself starts with stepping back and analyzing what you don’t need ! I love cleaning out my purse and having clear counters! Makes my life so much easier to take that extra 15 mins at night to get ready for the next day !

August 10, 2016 at 10:24 am

Absolutely! I love it when I can have all of these clutter free and clean at the same time! It releases so much stress and anxiety!

Kelsi
    August 10, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Love this! I am constantly overwhelmed but how much crap I have and how little storage space to boot. Today I cleaned out my car and vacuumed it for the first time in forever, threw out all my receipts I was saving for god knows what, and it felt AMAZING. I am going to tackle my bedside table when I get home!

August 10, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Yay! Kelsi, that is great! It makes my day to hear someone rave about how cleaning their space makes them feel AMAZING! Keep it up! 🙂

michelle
    December 21, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Such a great post.. I’m sold…

Jennifer (HolisticHeadToToe)
    December 21, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Love your posts! I definitely want to simplify. #3 hits home as our counter is a mess no matter what I seem to do. Currently, I have an old pile of mail/papers that I hid in a drawer the last time I tried to de-clutter when a guest was coming over. ha ha! I am trying to create a system. Somehow those papers always seem to multiply.

December 22, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Haha! I love your honesty! I have done the same thing many times. The only system I have set in place now is to deal with it the same day it comes into my home. I do not always accomplish this, but it is better than the piles I used to have before I set this system in place.

karissa
    December 21, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Really great post! I’ve been trying to have less this past year. I’m tired of so much stuff.

Dia All The Things I Do
    December 26, 2016 at 9:55 pm

I do a pretty good job of keeping the inside of my car clean. My real weakness…. the mail. I hate paper mail. I’m like who still sends this haha Wonder and easy tips to add to your life.

December 27, 2016 at 4:46 pm

I am there with you, Dia! I have to deal with the mail as soon as I get home or it will pile up for days! So much easier to keep going day by day rather than once a week.