Self-Care Simple Living

What Happens When You Remove Distractions From Your Life

Continuing on the topic of what happens when you remove distractions, today I wanted to discuss the benefits of removing distractions from your life. Your list of distractions may be different than mine, but we all have one. Distractions keep us from achieving what we truly want from life. It is an enemy to our goals and a rival to our dreams.

Distractions steal time from focusing on what is important. It may appear to be important, but is watching another episode of the show you like really important versus crossing something off your ‘To-Do List’?

What about checking your social media accounts for notifications every few minutes?

Do you start something, then jump to something else, and then something else, only to realize you have not finished the first thing you actually needed to have done several minutes ago?

I will admit, while I was writing this post, I checked my Facebook to see what was happening. I could use the excuse ‘looking for inspiration’, but really I wanted to give myself a break. No break was necessary, but I took it anyways.

What happens when you remove distractions from your life

You become less stressed. // Having nothing stand in your way to achieving your daily tasks rids you of stress. Your reasons to not accomplish something is demolished, therefore, you do not have to stress over if they will get done.

You become happier. // Working towards your goals can be difficult, but also exciting! Knowing that you are one step closer each day creates a happiness that can only be experienced distraction free.

You learn your worth. // Self-worth is a constant struggle for many. However, when you are able to focus on accomplishing your goals and getting a step closer, your self-worth has a chance to improve. You realize you are worth more than you thought yesterday.

You build incredible relationships. // Distractions can take up time that you could use to build relationships. Without distractions, you are able to focus on building relationships with people you care deeply about.

You learn a lot about yourself. // Do you really know who you are and who you want to be? Do you struggle to find the answers? Are distractions keeping you from learning about yourself? Pushing them aside, you can learn what it means to search for who you are.

You build confidence. // Do you struggle with having confidence in yourself? As you work distraction-free towards your goals, your confidence really has a chance to build. Knowing you can get one step closer to your goals diminishes the lack of confidence you used to know.

Your life begins to take shape. // The longer you live without distractions, the more your life can mold into the life you desire. The harder you work at it, the faster your life can mold into the life you desire.

You realize what your goals actually are. // Do you know what your life goals are? What about this year’s goals? Removing distractions allows you to focus and discover what they are, if you do not already know.

What are distractions keeping you from achieving? When you remove distractions, do you notice a difference in your thoughts, habits, or life in general? Let me know below in the comments!

candy
    June 29, 2016 at 7:13 am

Amazing what happens when we do remove distractions. I have more time, happier and yes my life falls into place.

June 29, 2016 at 7:27 am

It is amazing, Candy! The freedom that comes from it is one of the greatest things I’ve been fortunate enough to experience, and it seems like you have, too!

Greta
    June 29, 2016 at 8:52 am

I’ve been trying to do this recently. If I’m in the car I try to turn the music off and just pray or reflect. I also enjoy times without my phone, I get more done around the house and I can focus on my relationships more! Great post!

Greta | http://www.gretahollar.com

June 29, 2016 at 9:08 am

Thank you, Greta! I agree with having time without my phone. I love turning on some music while I am cleaning or canning vegetables. I get a lot more done, because I am not distracted by what may pop up on my phone.

Emily
    June 29, 2016 at 9:19 am

You are so right! Sometimes we lose sight of the benefits of losing distraction and being in the moment. This is a great reminder!

Terryn Winfield
    June 29, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Hi Erin! What a great post, I appreciate it! I have to constantly keep myself in check, because I can stay busy all day and therefore stay distracted. Never quite doing anything completely, never quite being in the moment. I would love to share this!

June 29, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Aww! Thank you for your kind words, Terryn! Please do share! I am constantly having to work on it as well, but over the past few months I have found ways to remove the distractions. I would definitely suggest finding what distracts you and figuring out how to tame that distraction. If you checked out my previous post, you will see how I simplified my phone for this reason. Good luck, and I’m always here if you need a little motivation or help!

June 29, 2016 at 3:15 pm

This is a great post! I definitely agree that you have more confidence when you remove distractions. It’s easy to get caught up in comparison when you’re constantly plugged into tv, social media, and the internet. Learning to trust in yourself and not have to see what others are doing is so important. I’ve really been taking a break from social media here lately and while it’s a little different I’ve been enjoying focusing my time on more important things. 🙂

June 29, 2016 at 3:18 pm

I noticed that you have not been on Instagram as much. While I understand, I really like seeing your pictures, too! But I am so glad you are focusing on priorities! It is so important to keep them in order.

Jennifer
    June 29, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Yay for less stress! This is a challenge worth repeating.

June 29, 2016 at 9:20 pm

These are such awesome points Erin. The more I remove distractions, the more I find time for things I really care about that get pushed aside by little busy things. Good reminder to minimize distractions and focus on important things.

Maria Brittis
    June 30, 2016 at 6:29 pm

It is so true and as a blogger i have to do this every time, remove unnecessary distraction otherwise i get off track, great post
    Maria

Gina
    June 30, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Love this! I’ve often wondered how life would be different without checking social media platforms constantly. Even work emails – something to think about !

June 30, 2016 at 7:38 pm

A break from it all is amazing! Try just being outside without your phone or computer. Enjoy what is right in front of you.

Julie @ Filling the Jars
    July 8, 2016 at 9:45 am

I love this post! I’ve been having issues with all of these lately. Obviously it’s time for a distraction detox!

July 8, 2016 at 10:44 am

It is so easy to do. Consistently focusing on keeping distractions at bay can really change your productivity and opportunities to try new things!

Leen Khateeb