Intentional Living Minimalism Simple Living

6 Luxury Items Eliminated From My Life For Good

Since downsizing, I realized a lot of things in our lives are considered more as luxury items versus necessity items. I cut out some of these luxury items, and realized how happy I am simplifying my life a little more.

6 Luxury Items Eliminated from my Life for Good!

Dish Washer // This is probably the biggest realization for me. I love the ability to put dirty dishes from the sink to the dishwasher, turn it on, and go to bed. However, when we downsized, we agreed we would not buy a dishwasher for the sake of saving money. I did not realize how much of a luxury item this was until I went without it. Washing dishes by hand is not something I care for, but when my husband and I tag team this chore, it is worth not investing in a dishwasher. I enjoy spending time with him, regardless of what we are doing. It allows us to talk about our day and what we want to do in the days to come. To me that is worth more than a dishwasher.

Cable/Satellite TV // As busy as we were with prepping the house to sell, moving, building a shop with an apartment, and moving into our shop apartment, we didn’t have much time for the TV. We cancelled our satellite TV, and opted for Netflix. The cost difference has been worth every penny! We aren’t the type of people to watch the newest episode as soon as we can. I’d rather save the money, and watch Netflix when I have time. It’s a great thing to have for date night, too!

Iron & Ironing Board // I have realized how much I hate to iron these past few months. I have had my iron for 5 years and can count less than 5 times that I have used it. I have decided these two things were only a space filler and I could live without them!

Bathtub // While this is a hard one for me, I can live without a bathtub. When we drew the plans for our bathroom, it didn’t seem like we had enough space for a bathtub, so we opted for a shower only piece. I used my bathtub as a relaxation tool before we moved, and now I am having to adjust. I have found a love for walks and being outside a great compromise.

Personal Dresser // My husband and I used to have our own dressers for the items we didn’t hang in our closet. When we downsized, I realized we could consolidate to one dresser and sell the other. It as worked out great so far!

Dining Table // We don’t entertain much, and we didn’t have the space for a dining table. Our compromise is TV trays. This was the easiest thing to eliminate from our lives. It simply didn’t serve a purpose for us.

You may or may not agree with some of these, and that’s okay. My only hope is to share with you what I have learned, and maybe you will think of some luxuries you can decide to live without as well!

What luxury items have you found you can live without?

Check out my follow up post with adding one of these items back into my life! —> One Luxury Item I Chose to Live With for Good

Kathy from CT
    February 29, 2016 at 6:52 am

Though we could get away with 1 dresser between the 2 of us, we aren’t willing to part with either of them. It has more to do with sentimentality than practicality. We are both on our 2nd marriages, and the bedroom furniture was the 1st thing we bought as a couple. So I just use most of mine for storage of linens & a few drawers for my clothing.

We have always had a dishwasher and rarely have we used it — mostly when hosting family gatherings. Even raising 3 hungry, always-eating sons we didn’t use it much. Like you, the chatting, etc. while doing dishes we found was priceless. I have to admit, though, if it didn’t take so long (energy efficient = 3 hours!), we might have used it more often.

My dining room sure looks pretty … especially when there is more than dust in it!

February 29, 2016 at 8:22 am

I’ve had my dresser since I started college (9 years ago), but I don’t hold any sentimental value to it. It isn’t part of our bedroom furniture set, but it does blend well. We just don’t have room for it. Our placed now had to have every inch thought out before we moved into it. Going from 1,450 square feet to 600 square feet helps you decide what is a necessity and what is a luxury with little effort. I’m not saying it wasn’t hard to live without these things, but now that I have adjusted, I’m thankful for the realization of excess.

shernell
    February 29, 2016 at 8:00 am

Wow ,you went hardcore. I Like a minimalist lifestyle as well.

Renee
    February 29, 2016 at 8:14 am

well I don’t consider an ironing board and iron a luxury item….LOL…actually I don’t consider them at all…havent had either one in over 30 years…and haven’t missed them. If you get the clothes out of the dryer right away and fold them or hang them up, you don’t need to iron…and good for me because I always hated it. And I don’t use a dishwasher either…

February 29, 2016 at 8:27 am

I have had clothes I had to iron regardless if they were straight from a hot dryer or not. Had to be the material. Regardless, I ended up donating them, because I hate to iron. I’m impressed that you haven’t had one for so long! I hope I can say that in 30 years!

Marette @ Floradise
    February 29, 2016 at 8:28 am

These are all great ways to save money and space. We, too, share a dresser and I only have one drawer in it. I use it for my workout clothes. I love that I have downsized my clothes enough to only fit in my section of the closet. It feels satisfying to not have too many clothes.

Meredith
    February 29, 2016 at 8:56 am

I am not sure I could live without a dishwasher! Toddlers (and husbands) create a lot of dishes lol! I could jump on board with the ironing board and bathtub!! Great ideas!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More
    February 29, 2016 at 9:30 am

Before I moved into my new place, the leasing office asked if I wanted a place with a dishwasher and my response “I don’t need one.” While I HATE washing dishes, I also hate putting them away and putting away a full dishwasher is worse than putting away just the dishes that fit in the sink. Plus, washing dishes really isn’t that big of a deal.

I also haven’t had TV/cable for YEARS and I don’t miss it. I don’t watch much TV but anything that i may want to watch, I can online.

February 29, 2016 at 10:21 am

I agree! Putting dishes away from the sink is definitely better than a dishwasher full of dishes!

I prefer listening to music over watching TV, but my husband likes something to watch before he goes to bed. He works long days and comes home and works on projects. I figured it’s worth letting him watch a show or two after working so hard all day. It’s only $10/month, which is way better than $80!

Aishwarya S
    February 29, 2016 at 10:37 am

Good choices! I think most of them just take up space and require more maintenance!

Neely (@Neelykins)
    February 29, 2016 at 3:54 pm

So awesome. I think I could get by without everything listed but the dishwasher!

February 29, 2016 at 6:00 pm

It’s so fun to get a peek at other people’s lives! I love my dishwasher. I really only iron when I’m doing a sewing project, it’s pretty essential for that. We’ve gone without cable and don’t feel like we’re missing out. That saves a ton of money! We share a dresser, but it only has to fit underwear and such, so it’s no big deal. And I like my dining room table, but we could probably go without it. It’s funny how we get so used to things that we think that we need them and don’t question it!

February 29, 2016 at 6:56 pm

I agree, Christine! I love that I’m at a point to where I question why I have something and decide if it is a true essential! Seeing what others can live with or without is neat, because it opens you up to think of all of this!

I may be weird when I say this, but it’s almost like a puzzle I’m trying to figure sometimes. Like do I really need this thing? So far, I haven’t missed anything I’ve removed from my possession.

Jane @ urbanejane.com
    February 29, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Hi Erin!
    Wow, KUDOS to you. I seriously respect your decision… I don’t know if I could get rid of our dishwasher (I have a terrible habit of leaving things caked on sometimes… eep), but I love how you’re reevaluating whether it’s an essential part of your life.

Sara
    February 29, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Im with you! I could live without cable, ironing board, dresser etc. I love simplifying my life.

Betsy
    March 1, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Wow! I can’t imagine my life without a dishwasher! Kudos to you leading the minimalistic lifestyle! I am reading Spark Joy, and it has inspired me to tidy up my life. I don’t think I will get rid of my dishwasher just yet.

-Betsy

March 1, 2016 at 12:37 pm

When we built our shop apartment, we started from scratch. It was the only appliance I didn’t necessarily have to have. Now that I have been without it, it’s been fine. It is quicker to wash by hand than using a dishwasher, so we are saving on electricity and water! Let me know how you liked Spark Joy once you finish it, Betsy! I read her other book, but I haven’t dove into this one just yet.

Boh
    March 1, 2016 at 7:56 pm

We do without a dishwasher too, sometimes its the small things that if you just get them done, it makes life easier – or even more cost effective! Great post Erin:)
    Boh

Erica @ Coming Up Roses
    March 2, 2016 at 9:50 am

This is is such a neat list. Have you read the book “The life changing magic of tidying up?” If you’re into simplification, I’d totally recommend it. Your list is inspiring! I think my fiance and I could go without cable since we watch mostly on Netflix or movies. Maybe we’ll have to try!

Coming Up Roses

March 2, 2016 at 10:23 am

Erica, yes I have, and loved it! I started with ‘Living Well Spending Less’ by Ruth Soukup and made my way to that book! She was my big push into minimalism! I’m glad I could help inspire you! I don’t regret cutting cable/satellite TV out of my life at all!

kp
    March 2, 2016 at 5:48 pm

That’s awesome that you got rid of that stuff! Way to go!
    I bought a house without a dishwasher and at first I was a bit upset about it, but now I realize how much I don’t need it and it would just be a waste. I am perfectly capable of washing dishes and I kind of find it to be a zen moment 🙂

March 3, 2016 at 8:59 am

Yes it can, KP! I don’t always love washing the dishes by hand, but I remember what I’m getting in return. It makes it all worth it!

Cait
    March 3, 2016 at 2:29 pm

wow these are great choices and ideas! im so glad that by eliminating them you feel more at peace with everything!! so glad i stumbled upon your blog friend! new follower here 😀

Janelle@The Peaceful Haven
    March 9, 2016 at 10:12 am

Wonderful ideas Erin! I am with you…I never use my iron!

Anna
    March 28, 2016 at 4:46 am

I never had any of these since I moved out from my parents’ home 10 years ago… they are not even luxury items in my mind, I wouldn’t want them if someone gave them to me for free. Actually I did get offered quite a number of TVs when their owners “upgraded” to cool huge flat ones, and a lot of kitchen appliances and smaller furniture items as well. And some people still expect me to get all these items once I “settle down” and have a more “stable” life. Whatever that’s supposed to mean…

Last summer I did get my own washing machine, though, and I enjoy that luxury greatly.
    I also never had a car, so before that I had to carry my laundry across the city on my back and it was exhausting and took hours and it was quite expensive and sometimes there were people in the laundromat I didn’t feel comfortable with, especially if I happened to be left alone with them.
    I love my washing machine. 🙂

March 28, 2016 at 7:25 am

Anna, I could only imagine having to haul my clothes to the laundromat! I will agree with you on not feeling comfortable there. I’ve had a few trips to some myself, and I have decided my washing machine is a necessity!