My husband and I downsized from our 1,400 square foot home to a 600 square foot home. My closet space went from roughly 16 feet of rod to hang clothes to 3 feet.
Naturally, I decided to find an alternative to my wardrobe. I went from about 50-60 pieces down to 33 pieces.
I have enjoyed the experience of having less to choose from within my wardrobe, but I am not so sure this particular capsule wardrobe is for me.
Thoughts On My Current Wardrobe
For a fall and winter wardrobe, I am pleased. I shopped my own pieces to create this wardrobe. A couple of pieces I could have used were a black long sleeve shirt and black short sleeve shirt.
I did not include accessories within my wardrobe, because I wasn’t sure I was ready for a full commitment of downsizing. Seeing what I still have after 4 months, I believe the possibility of adding the few pieces I have to this.
I love how easy it is to get ready in the mornings now. No longer having to pick out what I am going to wear ahead of time is great! I don’t have much to choose from and I like all of my pieces, so I can’t loose!
Certain pieces are worn more often than others, and I am working to change that. Even with my wardrobe as small as it is, I still forget about some of the pieces I have.
[I also feel these pictures do not do my wardrobe justice, but sometimes clothes look better on a person than a hanger. Also, one pair of bootcut jeans are not pictured due to being in the dirty clothes hamper. I am not one to take a picture of dirty jeans…]
What I Have Learned
- I don’t like to iron, and I don’t wear shirts that need ironing.
- White is not my color!
- I love every piece in my wardrobe.
- I have holes in my wardrobe needing to be filled before spring gets here.
- If it is heavy and hurts my neck as I’m wearing it, out it goes! [ I let go of a really cute biker type jacket, because it gave me headaches when I wore it. ]
- Now I know what I wear, and have culled the rest. Just because I like it doesn’t mean it’s earned hanging space.
- I am very picky about what I like.
- I need less variety pieces and more staples. This way, I will be able to create more versatile outfits, and not continue to repeat an outfit so many times.
Thoughts About Project 333
Project 333 has added a lot of value to my life for a few reasons
- I no longer worry about what I am going to wear. I will always look fabulous!
- It has help me in developing my style by narrowing down to the pieces I love and wear.
- It has given me space for other things that matter. I am speaking in the physical sense and mental.
Will I do it for Spring and Summer? OR Will I find another capsule wardrobe project?
I have not decided how I am going to go about my Spring and Summer wardrobe. I really like Project 333, but I am also interesting in the 30 pieces in 30 days challenge I have seen on Pinterest.
For now, I am going to enjoy my current wardrobe, and research my options to see if something suites me better than what I am currently doing.
If you have any suggestions for what I could do for my Spring and Summer Capsule Wardrobe, please let me know below in the comments!
What does your wardrobe look like? Are you participating in Project 333 as well?