Declutter Declutter Challenges Minimalism Simple Living

30 Day Minimalist Decluttering Challenge: Day 28-30 Update

Welcome to the last update of the 30 Day Minimalist Decluttering Challenge! Can you believe I made it?! I’m having a hard time believing it myself! I am very excited to share with you my final days, and what I thought of the overall challenge!

If this is your first time reading about this challenge, I encourage you to visit the original post to see if this is something you would like to be a part of. [I hope you will!]

Do you feel like clutter is taking over your life? Are you constantly reorganizing, but never actually feel organized? Then you need to try this 30 Day Minimalist Declutter Challenge I created! This challenge not only focuses on decluttering physical things, but also mental clutter. Taking care of your mental health is just as important as decluttering your physical things.

30 Day Minimalist Decluttering Challenge Update: Days 29-30

Day 28: Phone Apps

30DMDC Day 28 Before30 Day Minimalist Decluttering Challenge | A Welder's Wife

As you can see, I switched my music apps from Music to Pandora. Then I downsized how much was on my screen. I like things simple, and I do not like how phone providers require to keep apps you do not use. Originally, I had these in my Extras square, but then added them together with my Random Apps square, and named it Apps! – also adding in my Calendar and The Weather Channel apps to my Apps! square. For obvious reasons, I blacked out my Finances squares for the sake of personal information.

I didn’t delete any apps, but the simplification of the screen in general is enough for me to feel accomplished.

Day 29: Contacts

I only started with 100 contacts, so there wasn’t much to go through. I did find 18 contacts I could delete, which is a lot more than I expected! So now I am down to 82 contacts! For the last declutter exercise, I am extremely happy!

Day 30: Reflect on the last 29 Days

To reflect on the last 29 days, I will start by saying I can’t believe I completed it! This challenge pushed my abilities to the limits on some days, and others it only motivated me to do more! I feel free from the control of my emotional connection to material objects. I also feel peace starting to fill the gap of what I am letting go of. It is nice to not feel stressed and anxious all the time.

Before I started this challenge, I was constantly consumed with these feelings, and didn’t realize it was the clutter I no longer needed providing these feelings. The satisfaction I am taking from this challenge is my ability to make difficult decisions in order to reach my goals of living with less. This experience has shifted my mind far beyond what I thought was possible for a 30 day period.

My husband has even commented about how well I was doing. He has seen me process each day, and has been my backbone for when it was difficult to continue. [I think it’s because he likes living with less!] While I do believe there are more things I can let go of, I am pleased with the results. It is not easy to let things go that have meant something at one time or another. I am taking my journey one day at a time, and am enjoying the transition from being someone consumed by consumerism to being someone free from consumerism.

Challenge in Review…
Favorite Day of Challenge: Day 10
Least Favorite Day of Challenge: Day 23
Total Items Removed from Challenge: 139!! Wow! I didn’t realize I had that many things to let go of!
Most Important Thing I Learned from this Challenge: Be honest with yourself.

Previous Updates:
Challenge Update 1: Days 1-6
Challenge Update 2: Days 7-13
Challenge Update 3: Days 14-20
Challenge Update 4: Days 21-27

If you are participating in this challenge with me, remember to share your progress using #thetannehillhomestead

How did the challenge go for you? What was your favorite/least favorite days? How do you feel now that the challenge complete? Did you reach your goals?

30 Day Minimalist Decluttering Challenge | www.thetannehillhomestead.com #30DMDC

Marette @ Floradise
    February 22, 2016 at 8:00 am

I’m currently reading the Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up and going through the process of decluttering. It’s shocking how much we hold on to that has already served its purpose in our lives. It’s an eye-opening process. Congrats on completing the challenge.

February 22, 2016 at 8:39 am

I listened to that book back in October and loved it! I didn’t follow it to a ‘T’, but I have used several principles from it.

Colleen
    February 22, 2016 at 8:36 am

Oh I love challenges like this. I feel so refreshed after decluttering and clearing things up. For some reason, I especially enjoy clearing out contacts. 🙂 Whether on FB or on the phone, it feels wonderful! Well done on a successful challenge! May you have a “lighter” 2016!! 🙂

Linda
    February 22, 2016 at 8:48 am

I just found your blog and want to go back and read your past posts for the challenge. I am gearing up to do something similar myself, although it feels like I already don’t have a lot of stuff. Coincidentally my latest blog post is about how we can also tidy up our inner lives. I think you might enjoy it. http://lifecoachlinda.com/how-to-spark-joy-in-your-life/

February 22, 2016 at 10:00 am

I didn’t feel I had lots of things before this challenge; however, there was more I found I could live without than I thought! Thank you for sharing this post, Linda! I will check into it!

Karin Rambo
    February 22, 2016 at 9:58 am

Yes! One of my favorite things is to “clean out” my phone. There’s something so satisfying about it. 🙂

Karin | truncationblog.com

Christine
    February 22, 2016 at 11:51 am

Good for you for doing all of this decluttering! I compulsively declutter because I can’t stand to have things messy. If you’re interested in a life/mental declutter, I found this incredible book called Essentialism. HIghly recommend!

February 22, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Thanks Christine! I haven’t heard of that book, so I’ll have to check it out! Thank you for the recommendation! I’m a pretty tidy person by nature, but I’m also good at finding places for everything regardless if I need it. My goal is to not have anything in storage unless I’m going to use it when we build our house. It’s a long shot, but I’m 65% of the way there just by doing this challenge alone!

Katherine
    February 22, 2016 at 1:21 pm

It is the perfect time of year to declutter too! I am redoing a room in my apartment, and it is the perfect excuse to go through and see what I don’t need.

Joan M Harrington
    February 22, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Hi Erin,
    That is so awesome that you have finally conquered the clutter 🙂 Gave me a few ideas to do the same, so thank you for sharing 🙂

kp
    February 22, 2016 at 4:15 pm

This seems like a really interesting challenge! I know I have so many things in my house that I don’t use but “might need one day”

February 22, 2016 at 8:52 pm

That’s what most of my possessions have been! I will tell you from experience, the odds of using the maybe one day items is slim to none. It feels good to let go of these items! The extra space is nice too!

February 22, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Good job! I don’t download many apps on our ipod and ipad (no smart phones here), but my husband downloads a TON. Sometimes I just delete them and figure he can download them again if he really wants them 🙂 Most of my phone contacts are for take out food ordering! But I’m sure there are some in there that don’t need to be.

February 22, 2016 at 9:02 pm

I have a few contacts for food places as well! I try not to download a lot of apps, but what I do have on my phone I use on a regular basis.

Leah Herring
    February 22, 2016 at 8:38 pm

I need to do this so badly with my phone! Adding this to my list! Cleaning out my contacts will take FOREVER!

Jill Campbell AKA Pragma Mamma
    February 22, 2016 at 9:26 pm

I so need this! Thanks for sharing, must go back and read your earlier posts!

candy
    February 23, 2016 at 7:37 am

I haven’t done the whole 30 days, but you have inspired me to declutter and get better organized. I even went through my contacts etc and deleted and updated.

Alyssa
    February 23, 2016 at 7:46 am

Definitely reading your other updates – I need to clean out, but I have such a hard time letting go of certain things!

Alyssa
    Feathers and Stripes

February 23, 2016 at 8:07 am

Alyssa, I understand completely! I don’t have a lot of shoes, but to let anymore go would be worse than pulling teeth! It’s a process, so take it one step at a time. If you need any help or encouragement, I’m here!

Tamika
    February 23, 2016 at 9:05 am

I’m going to have to go back and read your posts. I need to declutter everything especially my home, computer(s) and phone. Thanks for sharing your journey and it’s time for me to get started because I want to start the summer clutter free in all aspects of my life.

February 23, 2016 at 10:54 am

I am so glad I could help motivate you to start your clutter free journey, Tamika! It is so rewarding! Please keep me updated on your progress! I want to read all about it!

Bree Hogan
    February 23, 2016 at 5:53 pm

My husband and I have just kicked off the declutter process in our house. We are going to be moving within the next year and want to make sure we only take what we truly want, so it’s a good excuse to clear out and clean up! Slowly does it 🙂

February 23, 2016 at 6:23 pm

I totally agree! Being able to have your husband on board with decluttering is incredible! My husband and I worked together on our things when we moved, and he actually was able to get rid of more than I thought possible! [ He is the hoarder out of the two of us 😉 ] You are also ahead of the game by getting this done before you move! We did a little before and a little after we moved. I would have much preferred it all to have been before we moved! Keep me updated on your progress!