Intentional Living Self-Care Simple Living

10 Simple Ways To Help Declutter Your Mind

I may make a commission from links in this post. You can read my full disclosure here.

Stress and anxiety seem to be the norm for today’s society. Life becomes hectic, and spins out of control. It seems like you never have enough time to enjoy life or simply clean house.

Sleep is impossible, but then again, you don’t really need it… Gray hairs and wrinkles start appearing earlier than hoped, but hey, it’s life!

Before you know it, the joy of life is gone. There is no enjoying the small things, or celebrating other people’s success! You have your own life to deal with, and your own pity parties to throw!

But you know what? Life doesn’t have to be this way!

It is possible to enjoy each and every day! I am going to share with you simple ways to declutter your mind, so you can enjoy life and stop the madness forming around you!

A clear mind is a peaceful and productive mind. Here are some simple ways to help declutter your mind, so you can focus on what is important.

10 Simple Ways To Help Declutter Your Mind

#1 Create a schedule //

Without a schedule, you don’t have control of your life. It’s as simple as that. Having a plan to wake up at the same time every morning, starting a load of laundry, and tidying up before you start your day will make a huge difference in your daily schedule. It creates productivity and sets the tone for your day. Also, setting your alarm for bedtime will help consciously prepare you for a full night of sleep, because sleep is extremely important for overall health.

#2 Declutter your home //

Clutter creates unnecessary anxiety and stress. It clutters the mind and spins it into overdrive. Do you feel there is always something left to clean after you have just finished cleaning your home? Clearing out the clutter will help with this feeling. It will also help the voice stop talking as much when it is time for bed. Knowing that everything in your home has a place allows peace to take up the space in your mind that likes to go into overdrive. A true sense of accomplishment will come over you and create a relaxed environment when you declutter your home.

Related Post: How to Declutter Your Home the Easy Way

#3 Write it down //

So often we have things on our mind that repeat over and over again so you won’t forget them. Instead of this repeating craziness, write it down! It will allow your mind to release it and move onto what is really important. Keeping things in your head only creates distractions. You don’t have to put it on paper. You can create a list in your phone, or text important information to yourself. The important part in this tip is to move the idea out of your head.

#4 Turn off all technology //

Taking a break from technology can be therapeutic. It allows your imagination a chance to work. It also allows you to embrace the present, what is around you, and who is around you. When was the last time you had a conversation with someone without technology there to distract you? Also, turning off technology devices at least 30 minutes before bed gives your mind time to unwind and prepare for rest. You will sleep more peacefully by doing this.

#5 Go for a walk //

Taking a walk brings your mind to the present faster than any of the other tips shared so far. By looking around as you walk, you will be able to admire nature and how amazing it can be. It also relaxes your body from the day you have had or prepares you for the day ahead. It can be your daily detox from the rest of the world, and trust me, we all need a good detox from the rest of the world around us.

#6 Meditate/Yoga //

This is a new step for me, but both of these focus on the present moment. By focusing on breathing, your mind is able to relax and rejuvenate. Practicing one or both of these can change your outlook on life by reeling you into the present. There are so many resources available on these two topics if you decide to give them a try.

#7 Change your diet //

Eating healthier has several benefits, but did you know that one of them is your mental health? Being conscious of what you eat is not only nutritious, but also a way to clear the cobwebs from your mind. You don’t have to eat perfect for this to happen. Simply taking one small step at a time can overtime change your mental and physical health. Choosing a fruit over a candy bar, or cutting out over processed foods can drastically change your lifestyle. Think of all the chemicals in junk food, processed foods, etc. your body has to process. By cutting down on the chemicals consumed, your body is able to focus on feeling better and operating more efficiently.

#8 Take breaks //

Often times, we get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life, and we forget to take a moment and breathe. Taking 5 minute breaks throughout the day to breathe can have positive effects on our mental health. It helps our mind to slow the pace, rejuvenate, and refocus. Too many times we push our mind until we can’t. This creates fatigue, stress, anxiety, and so many more things that cloud our mind. Taking breaks can help clear your mind of all of this. Try it! I guarantee you, your mind will thank you!

#9 Choose to be kind //

It isn’t hard to be kind, but sometimes we forget. Practice sincere smiling while talking on the phone or to someone in person. See how it changes the atmosphere of the conversation. Why not bring great customer service to the customer service person helping you with a transaction? I promise they will appreciate it! The satisfaction of being kind is immeasurable.

Related Post: 10 Small Ways To Be Happy Today

#10 Meal plan //

How many times have you wondered what you will cook for supper when you get home from work? You may not be able to decide until you are throwing things in pans and hoping it turns into a decent meal. But doing this only creates frustration! Instead, sit down at the beginning of the week and plan your meals. What could take you an hour or more a day, could only take 30 minutes to an hour, then you are done! This not only saves you frustration; it also saves time and money, because you know exactly what you need for each day. The rest of the week will feel like a cake walk compared to being unprepared!

It does not take much to clutter up your mind. By doing just a few of these suggestions your mind can relax and unwind from all the craziness you deal with on a daily basis. Start with just one or two of these, and I guarantee you that you will notice a difference!

If you enjoyed this post, be sure to subscribe via email with the below form!

Alexis
    February 25, 2016 at 7:06 am

I definitely agree with #5 and #6. I go for a walk every morning and come back an meditate. It’s a real stress reliever. Enjoyed your post (:

Alexis | http://www.themindfulmotivation.wordpress.com

Adrienne
    February 25, 2016 at 7:48 am

I agree with you on all of the above, my life would be chaos if I didn’t follow these simple rules. Thanks for sharing

Sabra at Great Green Heron
    February 25, 2016 at 11:01 am

That schedule thing is a big one. I’ve worked up one for six days of the week, often times broken down into chunks. For instance, 45 minutes of writing time and then 15 minutes of abdominal exercises before I return back to writing. I’ve yet to keep it, but I only started last week. ;-0

February 25, 2016 at 11:12 am

It takes a little while to get a schedule routine, but I commend you for starting! That’s the key to getting to where you want to be. You can do it, Sabra! Just keep at it!

Janine Huldie
    February 25, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Definitely great advice, especially #1, which I feel truly does help with decluttering and so much more.

Vlad
    February 25, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Sounds about good. Might try some of these!!

Maryam
    February 25, 2016 at 5:00 pm

I love to write everything down it’s just satisfying 🙂 And I recently got into meal planning and it’s so addictive ! one less thing to think about

Summer @ Coffee With Summer
    February 25, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Fantastic tips here! I need to work on setting a meal plan. 🙂

Paola
    February 26, 2016 at 8:14 am

Great post! I naturally do all of those, just need to teach them to my husband! hehehehe

Janelle@The Peaceful Haven
    February 26, 2016 at 11:04 am

Some great ideas here…I especially LOVE number 3!

February 26, 2016 at 11:11 am

Thank you, Janelle! This is one I’ve started this past year, and it has made a tremendous difference in my day to day tasks!

Kate
    February 26, 2016 at 11:20 am

For me the keybingredients are 1- exercise, 2- feeling physically healthy, and 3- making lists! These are great tips. Thanks so much for sharing. Would you mind linking with us at 100 Happy Days? http://www.akreativewhim.com/capturing-memories-100HD-19

February 26, 2016 at 12:15 pm

I’d love to link with y’all! I’m on my phone right now, so I’ll drop the link and as soon as I can get on my laptop, I will add your link button to my page! Thank you for asking, Kate!

Cassie // The Brunette With a Blog
    February 26, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Taking breaks is so important! I used to power through tasks and then found myself exhausted by the end of it. Breaks are everything!
    Great list! 🙂

Deb- It's me, debcb!
    February 26, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Walking always helps to clear my mind. Especially if it’s outside. I am not wired to meditate.

February 26, 2016 at 1:16 pm

I haven’t had much luck with meditating myself, but I haven’t given up just yet. I’ve read about too many benefits to not make it work.

Lindsay
    February 26, 2016 at 1:14 pm

I really need to start incorporating more yoga into my fitness regime. I find mentally, I just feel so much better and more grounded. I’m also trying my best to put down the phone or get off the phone completely in the evenings.
    Writing everything and having a schedule helps tremendously, as does meal planning.

Have a fantastic weekend, girl! 🙂

February 26, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Putting the electronics away can be difficult. I have been working at this myself. I do enjoy not having to think about what to do next or who may call/text, because my phone is right beside me.

Have a fabulous weekend yourself!!

leah herring
    February 26, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Love this list. I do many of these each day and they really do help!

February 26, 2016 at 1:50 pm

These are all great suggestions! I definitely do most of them without thinking about it much. I need to get better about turning off technology though. If I’ve been “connected” too much during the day, I feel yucky and really negative by the end of the day. Weird, but true.

February 26, 2016 at 1:57 pm

I know the feeling, Christine! I’ve got to train myself at taking breaks from technology. Although, when I’ve had enough of it, it isn’t so hard! Haha!

NYG@NaughtyYogaGirl.com
    February 26, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Oh my goodness – I loved this post! Such great reminders of what’s important in life, really. 🙂 I’m a big believer in a decluttered home being really important for a more peaceful mind … and getting daily exercise. I’ve tried so many times to meditate, but haven’t been able to get it yet – I’m a huge multitasker and it’s hard for me to not do two things at one … I’m getting better at it, though. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

February 26, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Thank you for your kind words! I used to be a multitasker, but I found it stressed me out more than it helped. Now I am a one task at a time type woman!

Kiara Catanzaro
    February 26, 2016 at 2:22 pm

I love that you mention “write it down” as a tip because this perfectly describes me. So many people like to keep everything on their phone, but I’m old-fashioned and stick to pen and paper! My to-do lists are my life. haha

February 26, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Thank you, Kiara! I’ve tried both ways, but the physical action of writing it down allows your mind to accept that it doesn’t need to hold onto anymore. I don’t get as much relief when I make a list on my phone. I am old fashioned with this, because I like to hold the piece of paper and scratch off something when I complete it.

Ana De- Jesus
    February 26, 2016 at 4:07 pm

I want to take up meditation as well and have periods where I don’t use any technology because it will help me de-stress. I need to implement this asap!

February 26, 2016 at 4:39 pm

That’s great that you want to add both to your routine, Ana! They are both great stress reducers. Let me know how it goes; I want to hear all about it!

Debra
    February 26, 2016 at 9:30 pm

I need to declutter my house, I feel like it will help me get more work done! Awesome ideas!

Julia
    February 27, 2016 at 12:41 am

I love going on walks with my husband and kids at night . It really does help calm my mind so I can sleep better.

jill conyers
    February 27, 2016 at 4:03 am

Hi Erin. Nice to meet you. I love love this post. So many great tips that apply to healthy living in general.

I host a Friday link up , Living a Life of Fitness Health & Happiness and I would love to have you join. You can check out this week’s link up here http://jillconyers.com/2016/02/are-you-ready-to-make-a-change/

Have an awesome weekend!

February 27, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Thank you, Jill! I will be sure to check it out! If it’s too late to link this week, I will next week for sure!

Onica (MommyFactor)
    February 27, 2016 at 7:54 am

Alot of great tips I really need to use more. Putting down tech is a real hard one for me.

February 27, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Thank you, Onica! It is the one I struggle with the most, but it’s getting better the longer I work at it.

michele
    February 27, 2016 at 8:34 am

I have really become much better at writing things down. If I don’t I get distracted and completely forget, which then just creates more chaos…. the thing I have been trying to do is live in the moment. No taking a pic and posting what Im doing, or snap chatting and texting to others what Im doing… just really enjoying what Im doing…. I should print out your list and refer to it OFTEN!

February 27, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Michele, I like your point about living in the moment. So often we forget to enjoy what’s there in front of us. Technology has hindered so many things people used to enjoy without thinking about catching a photo of it.

Jeanine
    February 27, 2016 at 9:23 am

Love this! I really need to give all of these a try. My mind is full of clutter and stress right now, I could use some relief!

Vicky
    February 27, 2016 at 9:43 am

I started to declutter the house but got so busy with work that I gave up. I need to get back to it though because it really promotes a calm environment.

Stacey
    February 27, 2016 at 10:05 am

A good hike, walk, or lap swimming is what help me quiet my mind. Routines are a plus! Love this list!

Jasmin N
    February 27, 2016 at 11:42 am

I meditate a lot, it really does help me to get on top of the things that goes through my mind.

<3: Jasmin N | Little Things With Jassy

Lauren
    February 27, 2016 at 1:37 pm

These are all great tips! I struggle with getting overwhelmed in life, so all of these seem like they would help out a ton! Thanks for sharing!

xoxo
    Lauren
    @dressingdallas

Siniciliya
    February 27, 2016 at 8:54 pm

I totally agree on all of these points. Sometimes taking a break is the hardest one, but I always have to remember that there’s no second or third copy of my myself in case the first one will get out of order!

Nikka Shae
    February 28, 2016 at 11:30 am

Meditation works best for me when I need to unwind from the hustle and bustle!!

Rose Sahetapy
    February 28, 2016 at 3:33 pm

I was a bit sceptical when I read the title, thinking that it would be same with other similiar post, but after reading it, I’m so loving this post. Thanks for sharing this.

Karen Grosz
    February 28, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Love that you added Meal Plan to this list. I think that is a big one for women. We never know what to make for dinner and so it clutters your mind. Meal planning can help with it as I found when I do it, but I don’t always do it. Thanks for sharing on Let’s Get Real Friday Link Party.

Susannah
    February 29, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Decluttering my house always helps me feel better mentally! Thanks for the rest of the list too! <3

Alison [Life of Scoop]
    March 2, 2016 at 8:27 am

I love these ideas, Erin! Thanks for taking the time to share this post with 100 Happy Days. I am choosing to feature your post this week. 🙂 I think my favorite tip is turning off technology. It’s hard to do these days, but it can really help clear the mind and rejuvenate the soul!
    Stop by on Thursday for your “I’ve been spotlighted” button if you’d like! And have a great day.

March 2, 2016 at 10:28 am

Alison, I feel honored you chose my post!! Thank you so much! I will definitely stop by and grab it! Turning off technology seems to be a lot of people’s favorite on the list!

Gaye @CalmHealthySexy
    March 2, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Hi Erin – Thanks for sharing this with the Let’s Get Real party. It will be my featured post at this week’s party.

Kerry
    March 8, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Love this post Erin! So true, I need to clear my head before going to bed or I’m up all night with my mind on overdrive. Nice blog x

March 8, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Thank you, Kerry! It is nice to take your mind out of overdrive. Your sleep is much more appreciated when your mind is at peace.