Intentional Living Minimalism Simple Living

Discovering Minimalism: How I Was Introduced to Minimalism

I was introduced to minimalism by accident. At the time, my husband and I were looking for land to purchase, so that we were one step closer to marking some things off of our dream list. At the time, I had a priority of reading a lot of books. I mostly read fiction, but had just started venturing out into the non-fiction genre. One book in particular was popping up all over Pinterest, so I decided to order it.

I had no clue the door this book would open up to my life. The impact of the changes after reading this book were immeasurable, so much so that I started to give this book as gifts to friends! If I accidentally discovered minimalism and received a whole new outlook on life, I could only imagine what it would do for my friends and family.

How I Was Introduced to Minimalism

The book that changed my life forever is Living Well Spending Less by Ruth Soukup. As I started to read it, I became confused. I asked myself: How could living with so much less make someone so happy? How could children be so happy with less toys? Not that I am materialistic or anything [because I’m not].

I just didn’t understand how owning less could change someone’s life. I didn’t understand how it could make you happier. We live in a consumerist country that believes we truly need another skillet, monogrammed towels, a shirt we partially like and buy because it was on sale, etc.

I was all the more happy to contribute to this lifestyle, so what Ruth described within this book was the complete opposite of what I was raised to believe.

By the time I finished the book, I could see there was something to this lifestyle. Of course, being the researcher that I am, I began to dig more into Ruth Soukup’s lifestyle.

I watched interviews, read her blog, etc. If she was so happy with living with less, spending less, and found her true passion in life; I wanted it too! I was so tired of the clutter I was surrounded by, and the only way I knew I could change was to follow someone who succeeded at changing it.

Shortly after I finished this book, we found land to purchase, and decided to start getting our house ready to put on the market. This seemed like the perfect opportunity to start downsizing our possessions, and see what we really needed to be happy, as Ruth Soukup explained in her book.

Once this process began, I felt relieved by the amount of stuff being donated! Packing up almost a car full of things to donate really opened my eyes and amazed me! Seeing all of the things we didn’t really need go out the door was incredible!

I even had a couple of friends pick through to make sure there wasn’t anything they needed, and found myself giving away even more! By the time we were ready to put our house on the market, about a quarter of our possessions where donated, sold, or given away to a friend. I felt as if I was on the right path.

What I thought this transformation was about was living simpler. I didn’t realize it was a movement across the United States, or whole globe. I was only doing what I felt was needed to live a happier lifestyle. It wasn’t until later I realized I was becoming my own version of a minimalist.

Read the next part of the Discovering Minimalism series HERE!

How were you introduced to minimalism? Please leave a comment or link below so I can read/hear your story!

Also, if you enjoyed this post, be sure to subscribe via email with the below form!

Kiara Catanzaro
    October 5, 2016 at 6:27 am

I was mostly introduce to minimalism from the Internet. From YouTubers to bloggers (like you!) I was able to learn more and more about this lifestyle and this journey people are taking to simplify their life.

October 5, 2016 at 11:45 am

Both are great resources, as you can tell from my Friday Favorites! I am so glad you have been able to learn about it, and I know from your posts that is it wearing off on you, even if it is just a little bit! 😉

October 5, 2016 at 11:23 am

The book is IN my cart on Amazon! I was introduced to minimalism by living in apartments in DC and simply not having enough room for it all.

October 5, 2016 at 11:50 am

YAY!!! *Happy Dance!* I hope I have not hyped it up too much for you, Sarah Jean, but I really think you are going to enjoy it! I have seen apartments in DC, but I can only imagine how small they are!

Christine from The (mostly) Simple Life
    October 5, 2016 at 1:58 pm

I’ve been wanting to read this book! I actually have never really “identified” with the word minimalism. I’ve loved organizing and decluttering since I was little. I remember wanting to get rid of the toys I wasn’t playing with anymore! But I suppose I am a minimalist. I’ve always just considered it being organized and simpler. 🙂

October 5, 2016 at 6:52 pm

You definitely should, Christine! It is a book I will reference back to for a long time, because it has a lot of good information and sources to send you to if you want more information on a particular topic. You cannot tell with my blog, but I really do not like labeling myself. However, my mind changed when it came to living a minimalist lifestyle. There was something about it that was so easy to accept. I think considering yourself organized and simpler is great! Your blog definitely reflects that about you, which is why I love your posts!!

Bree Hogan
    October 6, 2016 at 2:17 am

I am in the midst of a gradual declutter because we know we will be moving house next year. It feels good to cleanse of things we no longer need, but it can be quite a process!

October 6, 2016 at 1:53 pm

I agree, Bree. It is definitely a process! However, the end result feels so much better! I hope the rest of the process goes smoothly for you!

DennisFrancisco
    October 12, 2016 at 7:10 pm

I called myself minimalist … thought just started living with its essence and principle. I’ d love to blog… which primarily talks about minimalism…

Kathryn
    November 2, 2017 at 2:18 pm

I started becoming a minimalist when we downsized our house as well. It was so freeing! I didn’t realize I was becoming my own version of a minimalist, either! I am just now realizing that it is a movement and a lifestyle and am on my own way to finding what it means for me. Thanks for your blog- it’s really encouraged me!

November 3, 2017 at 10:37 am

Thank you for telling me part of your story, Kathryn! It is freeing isn’t it?! It is so nice to have just what we need and be free from the rest. So glad you enjoy the blog! I have a Facebook Group dedicated to minimalism and all things simple, if you are looking to connect with other like-minded people. No pressure! Just thought I would offer. 🙂 A Welder’s Wife Community – Facebook Group